1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role Play in KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by maedchen, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Anyone got ideas for what to put in a role play area for Y3 class. Our first IPC topic is Dinosaurs and I hoped to have something related to this??
    Thanks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Museum?

Science lab?

Archaeologist dig (great if you have access to a sand tray/pit )

3. OOOooo yeah, an archaeological dig . . . roped off with signs, suitable clothes, trays with sand in, tools to include brushes and the like, posters of dinosaur skeletons and other prehistoric fossils (labelled, obviously) clipboards so they can record what they find (as what you hide in the trays will change), dictaphones so they can record their excitement as they dig . . .could lead into all sorts of fab writing. I want to play!

4. I'm in Y3 and last year for our Egyptians work we had borrowed sand from the Nursery and put it into trays. We used magnifying glasses and paint brushes with laminated, cut up replica artefacts. The children had to log them and work out what they were. It produced fabulous writing! This time, we're doing Romans and once again I'm dressing up as Indiana Jones to start off the unit by looking at archaeology. We're using the QCa Science units again, as we felt there wasn't enough coverage last year, and I'm going to be digging a big hole on the field (well, taking the top layer of soil off!) and "burying" some dino bones - was a big hit at my last school with Y3 dino topic, caused a stir amongst the whole school!