1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role Play in Key Stage 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Aunty Janey, Aug 10, 2010.

1. NeKo

NeKo New commenter

I used to (and still do) timetable it into guided reading. It can be quite noisy, but not too bad if you set out expectations. Also at the end of the time I'd pick someone at random to say what they had done/ show their work/ re-tell part of the story so they knew they had top do the work.
    Now I'm back in KS1 it is easier to timetable it (sometimes) into maths/ english/ non-core times, depending on the lesson. Also it gets used if there is free play/ wet breaks.
    The Egyptian one sounds good - you could spend time with children building tomb, ceremony in tomb and then later discovering the tomb. Or borrow a tray and sand from EY & have small world play too!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In fact I'm on supply and do KS 1, 2 & 3 and actually adapt 'role play' across all those phases- just depends on your expected outcomes and whether you can stand the noise level of all that activity with older ones when they're doing role-play in groups (aka Drama)!