1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role Play in Key Stage 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Aunty Janey, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Having taught for many many year in Early Years I'm moving to year 4 and would be very grateful for any helpful hints or ideas for taking role play into Key Stage 2.
    Thank you

2. Hi
    I was also a FS teacher and was asked to go to KS2 to raise tandards thru creativity, fresh approaches and practical ideas. I implemented a role play immed. Firstly I did Tudors, the chn made tudor portraits to decorate the role play and fortunately I had money to buy costumes. They loved it. I then did Vikings, chn made shields, helmets, etc and then an African hut - the chn made animals, vegetation etc.
    I always had a focus e.g. with Tudors week 1 was design a wedding invitation for Henry V111s wedding to !!!, wk 2 etch a portrait (chn did portrait sittings), wk 3 plan a banquet for the wedding, journalistic reporting on the wedding, etc. So if anyone said well there only dressing up what learning is happening, well they weren't.

3. Hi Tayla,

Thank you very much for your reply. My first topic is going to be the 'Tudors & Stuarts' so your suggestions are very much appreciated. Just wondering now what costumes did you have? Being cheeky now are you able to e-mail any resources you have made? Thank you

4. Hi
    Found costumes on internet cost about £20 each inc 2 fancy dresses (girls loved them), a king and a noble man. Am happy to mail you anything most of it downloaded off net. Not sure how we do this. Do you just put your e mail address on here?

5. I'm not sure either. think so

6. Crunch22

Crunch22 New commenter

How did you timetable access to the role play area?

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

i recommend you don't put your e-mail address here for all to se. Use the personal message facility.

8. Thanks for the advice. I haven't used this before.

9. When I was teaching in Reception and in Year 1 I had a choice board. The children mad their own choice as to which activity they wanted to engage in by placing their name on the activity of their choice. If all the spaces were taken then they had to make another choice. It worked very well because only a certain number of children were able to use each area at any one time (this was dcided by the children themselves during a circle time activity). Hope this is of some use to you.

10. Hi Lara
    Where is personal message facility? Sorry

11. Hi click on the posters name and a box will appear for you to write your message.

12. Lara mfl 05

Seeme superkings beat me to it. You can check any messages you send or receive by looking in your inbox jusy below your name on the right hand side.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooo now this has got me thinking.
    I have year 6 this coming year and definitely want to do things more creatively than the poor things are used to. (I only joined the school in Jan and not in year 6!) Role play area sounds good, wonder how I can work it in....
    Britain since 1930...reckon some staff will have 'costumes' from the 50s onwards and probably artifacts as well. 30s and 40s might be harder.
    Maybe I could use science topics as a starting point instead...??? Could they role play being Astronomers? Doctors? Naturalists?
    Think I'm going to need some help and advice with this one...

14. Hi,
    When I was in Year 2, two years ago the children wanted a Science Lab. We covered the whole role play area with silver foil, set up plastic jars containing coloured water on shelves, covered boxes with coloured foil, we had ,microsopes, magnifying glasses, goggles, white coats (extra large white shirts), rubber gloves, etc. I downloaded resources from ********** (But would be careful now as the site has been banned by many local authorities because of his confiction!)
    Children could:-
    <ol>[*]carry out pretend experiments or real experiemtns that are safe[*]invent potions[*]disasters could happen e.g. the equipment could go wrong![*]design warning posters [*]write a safety manual[*]complete a scientist's diary[*]order forms for chemicals[*]produce an audio tape of laboratory noises[*]pretend to giv a science lecture to the class[*]write in a 'young scientist;s magazine'</ol>Good Luck any ideas for a Tudor and Stuart and role play area would be greatly appreciated.
    Originally thought about a Tudor house, but now thinking about Guy Fawkes!
    What do you think?

15. sorry conviction!!!

16. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

this sounds great- I am going to give it a go after the half term[​IMG]

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Re costumes, surely a minimalist less-is-more approach works well? Anything else would be inpracticable.

18. Sorry to bring this back up, but after the holidays my topic is going to be Ancient Egypt and I was thinking of creating a role play area for this. I want the children to 'become' archaeologists (Indiana Jones style) so was going to decorate an area of my room as a 'tomb' for them to explore, possibly using a pop-up tent that I have. Would decorate it etc. However, my concern is as someone else said - how do you timetable it into KS2? I have so much to fit in, yet I think it would be a fantastic thing for them to experience. Has anyone managed to do it outside KS1?

19. Lara mfl 05

Easy- comes under speaking & list in literacy. Drama technique of 'Hot seating' often used too.
    e g you could get children to write about their 'artefact' they have discoverd (descrip writing) and then they come to the 'hot seat' in character and tell their story. Class are the news reporters and they can ask ?s -person has to answer 'in role'. You could then write the front page of an Egyptian Times papyrus newspaper of the 'discovery' & children have to interview various characters.

20. Thanks Lara. Are you in KS2? Do you have a role play area?