1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role Play for Journeys /Travel topic

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by May2, May 21, 2006.

1. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Trying to think of something different this year. We have had inside an aeroplane, airport, beach shop and travel agents. Does anyone have any new ideas for role play in a Nursery.

2. May2

Trying to think of something different this year. We have had inside an aeroplane, airport, beach shop and travel agents. Does anyone have any new ideas for role play in a Nursery.

3. hey, our theme is journeys and for this half of the term we have done an African market. I had my doubts at first but it has been brill and we've got lots of activities from it linked with Africa. After half term we're changing it to a pirate ship.

4. May2

Thanks for suggestions. Its given me some great ideas. A really useful website too.

5. Hi serenbach

I'm doing jobs and journeys after half term, and am struggling a little for ideas. What type of things did you do? I have a mixed nursery/recpetion class.

6. Hi, Our topic in Reception this half term is called 'On the move' and next week I'm moving onto travel/holidays/other countries and linking this in with a Travel Agents role play area. Just wondering if anyone had any other inspiring ideas for CLL/KUW lessons?

7. We did this last halfterm and some of this as it was so successful! I split it up into different places to journey to.
    Week 1 Bear hunt and Rosie's Walk especially for work on prepositions.
    Week 2 Journeys around school - concentrated on left and right and backwards and forwards.
    Week 3 Journeys in our local area. Walked to lots of different places, compared journeys, which was our favourite place, different shops etc. Also children brought bikes and scooters in.
    Week 4 Journeys around Britain - compass directions and then different environments within the UK - urban, rural and seaside.
    Week 5 Journeys around the world - introduced globes, maps seas, hot and cold places etc.
    Week 6 Journeys in the past - how we used to travel
    Weeks 7,8 and 9 Journeys to fairytale land and other fantasy places.

Really enjoyed it and the children learnt lots too - will be doing it again next year. We are reception by the way.

8. role play area based on jill murphy - what ever next - space rocket and mission control !!!

9. That's great. Thanks for all your ideas. The one about compass points and globes will be a good one I reckon.

Cheers.