1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role Play Areas - Four Questions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cr9599r, Mar 28, 2018.

?

Gut response! Do you think of your classroom's role play area as...

Poll closed Apr 11, 2018.
  1. A useful tool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. An essential component of the earning environment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A burden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cr9599r

cr9599r New commenter

Good Afternoon Everybody!

I am currently undertaking some research for my Research Project. The last hurdle before I can FINALLY enjoy being a NQT in my own classroom with my own class!

I need the opinions of other teachers.
    If anybody could help me out and answer these four questions I would be incredibly grateful.
    Just copy them across into a message and send it my way.
    cr9599r@greenwich.ac.uk

1)
    How much time do you think you expend on a) planning and b) setting up the role play area?

2)
    If you could make any changes to the role play areas in your setting, what would they be?

3)
    Are there any particular groups of children who don't regularly interact with the role play area? Are there any that routinely do?

Finally, my idea is to create a role play area consisting of blank walls and floor with minimal props, that the children build themselves throughout the week. The theme of the area and topic of learning will have been chosen by the children beforehand. Ideally at the beginning of the term.

The thinking behind this being, that the meaning and purpose of the space is assigned by the children. This ideology in turn, hopefully leading to better engagement with the space and creating a good opportunity to assess any learning that takes place.

4)
    Do you have any thoughts upon this proposal? Constructive feedback is always welcome.

If anybody wants/needs any further information, just send me a message. I am more than happy to talk about this in greater depth.

Enjoy your easter holidays!

Charlie

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You might want to post this in Early Years, just above primary on the board.
    Not saying primaries don't have role play areas, but you will get more responses from early years.

3. cr9599r

cr9599r New commenter

Thanks! I shall try again. It did say that I wasn't allowed before.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Oh, weird.
    If it still says that, then click on the 'report' button on your first post here. Then in the box ask for it to be moved to early years and a moderator will do it for you.

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

@cr9599r
    What you are proposing is very similar to the concept of 'deconstructed role play' and is very effective. Children to indeed engage much better, especially with skilled adults to know how and when, if at all, to intervene.

Other themed areas often have a limited shelf life as children don't necessarily have life experience to know how to be in a resuaurant, spaceship, etc etc

I have role play, led be children, enhanced by me (I think!) and sometimes it has resources that could be used in certain ways but very often they are used in a way I could never have imagined!

6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Look at abcdoes.com :)

7. cr9599r

cr9599r New commenter

Thank you!