1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role of technology to support teaching and learning

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by ceri_the_first, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Hi all,

This is my 1st post on this forum and I am hoping for some helpful feedback and hopefully an interesting discussion on the "Role of technology to support teaching and learning"!

I am a graduate of a Business IT course and am very interested in the use of IT in education. I have had some experience in this field during a placement year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also designed and developed an online skills analysis tool for use with e-portfolios for my final year dissertation.

I have an interview this week for what seems to be my "dream job"!
    The job role I am hoping for is an Educational Technologist in a Blended Learning department within a university. I have been asked to give a 15 min presentation on "The role of technology to support teaching and learning"

Here are the main points I am thinking of making:

- Technology has many roles in an educational context
    - Administrative
    - Accessibility role (in terms of making resources, material accessible for those with disabilities through web standards, podcasts etc.)
    - Feedback (simple online tests allowing instant feedback, simple online publishing tools i.e. blogs to allow feedback from large audience, confidence in online publishing + feedback because of anonymity, electronic marking, electronic voting)
    - Collaborative (in group projects, internet allows collaboration between much larger audience because of lack of physical location, may become even more important as tools like Second Life allow graphical representation, video/audio conferencing)
    - Creating independence of time and place (design for multiple devices ? podcasts, mobile technologies etc allowing learning outside of traditional time and place)
    - Personalisation (Allowing users to take ownership of learning, methods of learning to match learner (ability to deliver the same info in different ways), e-portfolios)

Extra points to add in somewhere!
    - When and how technology is used in education needs to be planned very carefully. Needs to be balanced with the right amount of other teaching methods i.e. classroom based, on-the-job training etc. Different technologies for different situations.
    - As an increase of bandwidth, development of technology and lowering costs of these methods of using technology to support will have to continually change.
    - Active learning, problem solving, simulation and with development of virtual reality more opportunities for this.

So.. any feedback on the points I am thinking of making?
    Also it would be cool to be able to talk about any current examples of innovate roles that technology has to support current learning and teaching methods.

This post is also an idea to support my idea of feedback from a large audience that would otherwise be hard to reach! So all replies welcome :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Long and bushy-tailed as the post is, and delighted for you and your interview, I cannot help wondering why you are not posting this on the ICT subject area.

What your post shows is the thick forrest of "innovations" and cure-all methods/ideals/gimmicks and "support and assessment tools" under the heading of technology. Much of this is recommended for purchased without much consideration, in a rash moment by an idiot (I do not mean you personally) who doesn't teach. The term "Educational Technologist in a Blended Learning department within a university" is a perfect job title for this wastril, in fact.

Many of us feel that technology used for delivery is actually less useful than the people trying to sell our colleges it would like us to believe. Budgets suddenly become available for all kinds of kit when Ofsted or the inspectorate loom large but post-16 education continues to turn out figure-massaged and unsatisfactory learning journeys for users and a "the server is down so you'll have to find the felt pens" experience for the practitioner.

There is something of an unmanned space-station feel to education - as long as the buttons are flashing someone must be learning. Small wonder that our graduates cannot communicate with others without a digital interface. And, lets face it, why should they? Universities, with research grants and weighted funding can provide many things, but perhaps if you reflect on the journey you have yourself just completed as a student you will see that your most rewarding part was "on placement" but 15 minutes on what worked for you as a learner as a consolidated peice might work.

For the day? Your breathless list of "stuff I know" is more like an assignment. This is a job interview not module 16. Please avoid from using the word "cool" in your interview. I am a regular panel member and some words used by interviewees hang in the air for hours after they were said.

Hey what do I know? Best of luck ceri-the-first. Love your home world.

K'pla

3. Hey!
    just to inform you that I have created a blog about Classroom Technology. It is for part of my course and has posts on iPads in the Classroom, Classroom Innovation, Interactive Whiteboards etc and it may help you. There is many references and other peoples views, many of which are teachers or linked with ICT or technology in some way. My blog address is: www.jade-sadler.blogspot.com
    I hope it helps you! If not you can always make a comment on something you would like to know more about and I will do my best to research it and help you!
    Jade