1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role of subject leaders in primary schools

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Teacher_abc123, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Teacher_abc123

Teacher_abc123 New commenter

Do you think an English subject leader should map out the books/literature for each term for all the year groups? I feel that would lessen the burden on teachers, so they can focus on their day to day. Not all agree I know, but what do we think?

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Why not ask the teachers you are working with?

Pomza likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No! I'd be fuming if the English leader in my school did this. :eek:

How on earth can the English leader, who has never taught anywhere except UKS2 have the faintest clue what would suit my nursery class? Even when I was in year 3, they'd not have had much idea. Similarly I couldn't possibly do the same for UKS2, not having taught there for about 8 years now.

Choosing the books/literature is NOT a burden!

And given you are currently objecting to how feedback is given, here, it's probably best not to object to sorting out your own books as well!

Pomza, Bombart95 and lala24 like this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

maybe just a list of suggestions, it wouldn't take long

5. lala24

lala24 Guest

Some teachers might love this but I’d hate it. One of the few joys left is discovering a great new text to use in class and getting all enthusiastic about it. Don’t take that away from me! Offer suggestions for sure but give staff some wriggle room in an already narrow curriculum.

6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Nope, because it creates more work for the subject leader when essentially they have their own class to teach too! Each teacher should have the autonomy to map out books/literature for each term.

I’m secondary, and I was a subject leader ten years ago, and then, I had a lot to deal with, without having to do a large part of the teaching colleagues role for them!

7. Teacher_abc123

I agree, at least some suggestions and a mapped out overview of the skills to be covered. If you're paid to lead a subject I think you should do a bit more work than teachers who aren't.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Doesn't the national curriculum offer you the skills part already?
    Indeed, but not that you should do their work for them.

I assume the point of this thread is that your English subject leader hasn't given you which texts to use and has left you to make your own decisions.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Our local primary have mapped books to each term. I don't imagine that's the whole story (there aren't enough at KS1 for it to be everything), and I think it was probably done as a team effort rather than by one person. There may be something to be said for having either a rough plan, or a record of what each class has read, to help staff avoid choosing something a class (or some of a class) have already done in depth.

10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

A list of helpful suggestions would be useful, but as a just as a guide. Year group teachers should have the final say and select books to suit their classes.

11. Teacher_abc123

My feedback objection is irrelevant (and was actually accepted by the school and changed accordingly!).

Why would you be fuming? What if it turned out to be really helpful and supportive?

12. Teacher_abc123

It comes down to what we think subject leaders should do in the role. How is it logical or fair to scrutinise planning, marking and books,when there is no overall mapping out of the year provided? Leading a subject shouldn't just be about monitoring and analysing data.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

I imagine they have a job description.
    Because one would expect a teacher to look at what needs to be covered over the year from the NC and then map the year themselves?
    I agree.
    I don't happen to think it should be about spoon-feeding teachers.

14. Teacher_abc123

Spoon feeding is putting too negative a spin on it really.

15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

As an English subject leader, I allow the teachers to choose their texts for the year, but they need to let me know and/or ask me if they're not sure about a particular text. The skills for text types, SPaG etc. are mapped out for them (hard to explain, don't want to go into too much detail) so it's kind of a halfway house. As I'm a class teacher myself, I think it's a good balance, personally, and I wouldn't like it if I were told which exactly which texts to use and when, there has to be some creativity still in what teachers do.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

I can't see anything positive in telling trained professionals what text to use when, what skills to teach when and how to teach it. Might as well buy in a published scheme and train some chimpanzees to 'deliver' the ready made lessons.

17. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Absolutely not. That decision needs to be made by the teachers in that year group. I would hate our English lead telling us what books we could use.