1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role of SENDCo

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jac27, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Jac27

Jac27 New commenter

Hello, I've recently been asked to think about the role of SENDco in my school as my head thinks it's a role I'd be good at. Whilst special needs have always been an area of interest I am concerned that I have no real expertise for what this role would entail, and have told my head as much, to which her reply was 'we all learn on the job!' Having been a class teacher for 17 years I know I will miss being in class. I would be interested to hear how others fulfil this role in their school, and be really honest about the work load/paper work. Many thanks.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

As a new Sendco you would need to gain the necessary qualification which combined with your teaching expertise would equip you for the role.
    I'm a SENDCo and a full time classroom teacher so it's worth checking how the head envisions you working

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don't think having the qualification and the expertise necessarily just equips you for this role. The formula / make up of the demands of the accreditation has been found wanting in my experience. You need specific qualities and integrity over and above I think. True that the support and backing of the LT essential if you want to drive an inclusive ethos and raise the game of all those involved in promoting and delivering excellence for all. I also suspect that some schools are grateful to have a ' body ' step up in the role as if expecuted properly is demanding and challenging and crucially not just about retaining the status quo.

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Newly appointed SENDCos have up to three years to gain the qualification. In many schools, including my own it is good practice for the SENDCo to be a member of the SLT. My SENDCo has 1 day per fortnight management time. If you don't join the SLT then you should be paid the SENDCo allowance.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter