1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role of Guidance

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by sugarglass, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Just posting as I am seriously considering going into guidance but just wondering how people in guidance feel about the job on a day to day basis. I am in my 40s and have the experience (i.e. Not a young teacher looking for rapid advancement.) Do you love the job? Do you miss your subject? Do you still get plenty time with the kids? Any advice for someone looking into that area but who also is worried about missing own subject and being in the classroom?

2. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Hi, Sugarglass. I'm not currently working in Guidance but in my school, and others I've worked in, the PTs Guidance/Pastoral Care tend to still teach their subject with only slightly reduced timetables. I don't think you'd need to worry about missing teaching your subject. Maybe it's different in your school. Is there a specific role coming up or are you starting to look now?

3. I wish that were the case in my school but sadly the guidance role does not allow for any time for subject. It is all full time guidance. Not a specific post, no but there may be something in the fairly near future. I have mentioned it and everyone seems to gasp and say that it is really a difficult post and say that I am mad to even consider it. Just wondering what those teaching it ft think about it.

4. missormizz

missormizz New commenter

Rewarding - but potential areas to consider:

Old "guidance" as it were is gone as the post is now that of "Personal, Social, Health Education" and (slightly) above other roles reflects GIRFEC the most.

You may be the only point of contact for the school. You are both "shop steward" and "probation officer" for given pupils at given times.

Increasingly PSHE is the focus of HMIE inspection.

Oh and, done badly, PSHE is a skoosh but done well is possibly one of the hardest but most personally rewarding in a school.

5. Thanks for that good, sound advice. I am so drawn to the area but so many scare stories. I am not put off by the hard work - more the moving away from my own subject. Very torn. Thanks again.

6. You'll have a new subject - one that's potentially as/more rewarding.

7. True. I have time to be sure one way or the other as well.