1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role of a tutor and expectations on teaching staff...

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Crayon_junkie, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm looking for some advice as to whether I'm becoming a lazy grumpy old fool --- or --- whether my school is giving me unacceptable extra work- what do you think?

I came to my new school as a HoD and also have a form- a very naughty form!

The role of being a tutor seems to be taking up more and more time and frankly I'd rather be working on my department work...

My head of year sends us lists of students who are persistently late and we are expected to ring home to tell them not to be late- ringing home is time consuming and for something trivial like lates is, in my eyes a job for an admin assistant.

I also have to ring home to follow up absences if they are not authorised and other general things like that.

I am also expect to contact parents over trivial requests they send in via email to the main office such as students wanting to wear woolly hats in lessons for medical conditions because the school is cold etc (again if the email is sent to the admin office, why do they need to send it to me to respond?)

Additionally I am now expected to mentor 5 students from my form before school or during my lunch breaks.

Am I being grumpy in wanting to stand my ground? The mentoring I can just about bring myself to do (though not the paperwork it entails) but the other stuff is admin isn't it?

Thanks in advance for your views...

Grumpy Old Crayon

2. Hi, I'm looking for some advice as to whether I'm becoming a lazy grumpy old fool --- or --- whether my school is giving me unacceptable extra work- what do you think?

I came to my new school as a HoD and also have a form- a very naughty form!

The role of being a tutor seems to be taking up more and more time and frankly I'd rather be working on my department work...

My head of year sends us lists of students who are persistently late and we are expected to ring home to tell them not to be late- ringing home is time consuming and for something trivial like lates is, in my eyes a job for an admin assistant.

I also have to ring home to follow up absences if they are not authorised and other general things like that.

I am also expect to contact parents over trivial requests they send in via email to the main office such as students wanting to wear woolly hats in lessons for medical conditions because the school is cold etc (again if the email is sent to the admin office, why do they need to send it to me to respond?)

Additionally I am now expected to mentor 5 students from my form before school or during my lunch breaks.

Am I being grumpy in wanting to stand my ground? The mentoring I can just about bring myself to do (though not the paperwork it entails) but the other stuff is admin isn't it?

Thanks in advance for your views...

Grumpy Old Crayon

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Search "the 24 tasks".It's a list of things teachers shouldn't be asked to do. One of them is chasing absense, which I'd imagine the late thing comes in to. Thing about wooly hats sounds like an admin task too. I could imagine dealing with late pupils is something a teacher should perhaps deal with, but the parents, not.
    I'd do the mentoring thing, that sounds like teaching (though I don't think you can be directed during lunch times) but not the others.

4. If you are working under STCD then you should refer to the section which identifies the 24 tasks. It will also show that you cannot be expected to work in your lunchbreak, unless you are on the leadership scale.
    If you are in an academy or similar then your terms and conditions may allow your school to determine whatever they wish.

5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I would hope most in an Academy would not have signed away their old terms and conditions as these would have been TUPEd across.........

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Agree with modgepodge and the dog (apart from 3 of the '24' tasks, it's been 21 for at least 6 years).
    Definitely pass the admin tasks back to admin staff, definitely don't work in your lunchbreak or other breaks, assuming you are not on the leadership scale, unless ALL teachers do, ie you don't have session breaks in your school in which case check your PPA reflects this, if you are mentoring then it is part of your directed time, check you are exceeding 1265 hours.
    compassman is right about TUPEd rights, assuming you are talking about a phoenix academy, rising from the ashes of a previous LA institution reduced to edu-rubble but if it is a new academy then in the spirit of the wild west, P+C can be whatever teachers agree to work under when they take a job.....

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

that should be "not exceeding 1265 hours"!!

8. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Only if they sign a new contract - otherwise they're entitled to redundancy money and the school would have to prove that there was no equivalent job at the 'new' school - they can't simply make a history teacher redundant and then hire a new history teacher for example.