1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role of a TA in Nursery attached to a Primary School

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Lisaking169, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Can anyone help me???? I am a level 3 trained TA and am currently working in a Nursery with 30 children in the morning and 30 children in the afternoon. We have 1 full time teacher (who is curently questioning her contracted time with the children ) myself and 1 other full time Ta and 2 partime TA's 1 am and the other PM.
    Hours of contact teaching time are 8.35am - 11.35am then 12.15 pm - 3.15pm. I arrive at work at 8.15 am and work until 11.45 when children have gone (3.5 hours) and then 12.15 pm - 3.45 pm (3.5 hours) totalling 7 hours a day = 35 hours a week- this doesnt even take into account a lunch break!! - I am contracted to 32.5 hours per week and contract is permanent 39 weeks.
    Myself and another TA currently do a lot of the resources AT HOME ON THE WEEKEND because we cant get it done in the day. This is why I need help from anyone on here who knows what I can do to sort this out for all of us.
    My teacher is currently questioning our head over HER contact hours as she does more than other year teachers, (she has not even mentioned that fact that we do more than the other TA's in the school) so she is being given extra time during the week to allow for this. How is it fair for her to receive extra time to get things done, and the TA's just have to get on with it !
    We also have to complete the Foundation Stage Profiles on the teachers behalf, can anyone tell me if this is right, do any other TA's complete these ???? I don't feel this is part of our job, or that some of my colleagues are even qualified to do it and they have only been working in the professional since Sept 2011, we collect the evidence and do obs so surely that is as far as our role goes.
    It sounds like I am moaning but this is really getting me down, and I am considering leaving the setting, which I don't want to do I love being with the children, but it is costing me time with my own family now, the reason I became a TA and not a Teacher was because I did not want the pressure, I seem to have it anyway. All help and advice greatly received.

2. Can anyone help me???? I am a level 3 trained TA and am currently working in a Nursery with 30 children in the morning and 30 children in the afternoon. We have 1 full time teacher (who is curently questioning her contracted time with the children ) myself and 1 other full time Ta and 2 partime TA's 1 am and the other PM.
    Hours of contact teaching time are 8.35am - 11.35am then 12.15 pm - 3.15pm. I arrive at work at 8.15 am and work until 11.45 when children have gone (3.5 hours) and then 12.15 pm - 3.45 pm (3.5 hours) totalling 7 hours a day = 35 hours a week- this doesnt even take into account a lunch break!! - I am contracted to 32.5 hours per week and contract is permanent 39 weeks.
    Myself and another TA currently do a lot of the resources AT HOME ON THE WEEKEND because we cant get it done in the day. This is why I need help from anyone on here who knows what I can do to sort this out for all of us.
    My teacher is currently questioning our head over HER contact hours as she does more than other year teachers, (she has not even mentioned that fact that we do more than the other TA's in the school) so she is being given extra time during the week to allow for this. How is it fair for her to receive extra time to get things done, and the TA's just have to get on with it !
    We also have to complete the Foundation Stage Profiles on the teachers behalf, can anyone tell me if this is right, do any other TA's complete these ???? I don't feel this is part of our job, or that some of my colleagues are even qualified to do it and they have only been working in the professional since Sept 2011, we collect the evidence and do obs so surely that is as far as our role goes.
    It sounds like I am moaning but this is really getting me down, and I am considering leaving the setting, which I don't want to do I love being with the children, but it is costing me time with my own family now, the reason I became a TA and not a Teacher was because I did not want the pressure, I seem to have it anyway. All help and advice greatly received.

3. Hi, In my LA TAs are paid for contact time only, so in that case you'd only be paid for 5hrs a day! I know that the TA in our nursery gets paid an extra hour a day above contact time in recognition of the extra time needed for setting up and clearing away.
    I don't think anyone working in schools get paid for their lunch break, teacher or TA. You can ( I think) insist on leaving the premises for the lunch break, because it is unpaid.
    As far as completing the profiles go; I work in Reception and the teacher and I complete these together. We are given some non contact time to do this, but we never get them all done in the time, so I stay after school to help. I offered to do this to help, and didn't expect to get paid, but the teacher told the HT how much help it had been and I was given some extra money for it. I don't think you should be expected to do extra at the weekends.
    Perhaps now would be a good time to talk to the head, as they have recently been made aware of the Nursery teacher's position.

4. Thanks for taking the time to reply Jan I appreciate it, I did raise all of my issues with my Teacher today, it seems that our contracts as TA's are being looked into as a matter of general concern throughout the school, so hopefully something will come of that. Our direct contact time is 6 hours a day with a 40 minutes turn around time slot for getting the morning children out and the afternoon children in - also to tidy up and re set for the pm kids and also slot in some time for lunch. I do need to get some more clarification on the profiles as we complete these on our own.
    I do not think extra money for the extra contact hours will be an option, as myself and two other ta's actually ran the Nursery last year for 9 months without a teacher and we didnt get so much as a thank you !! But hey ho I didn't take take on the job to become rich, but I also didnt expect to have my goodwill abused quite so much. Thanks again for replying.

5. So.... you ran the nursery for nine months without a teacher, or any extra pay,
    .....now you do have a teacher in with you, but you still do all the profiles,

There's goodwill, and then there's taking the pi55!
    You poor thing, hope you get it sorted.

6. Maybe you should start turning up for work a bit later?
    Also, if you can't get work done in the day then you need to leave it unfinished for your own sake. If you're completing the work given to you for free by taking it home why would the class teacher feel the need to revise the amount of work given to you?

7. Hi, I really do feel for you. I'm a Level 2 TA in a reception class and last year I was a Level 1 in a nursery and that was a lot more demanding!!
    Children that age require so much attention and you've got 60 different children to adapt to rather than a class of 30.
    The TAs in the nursery did help out with the FP profiles but we were given a group of children we were most familiar with and time was freed up for us to do this and it may have helped that I worked until 4.30 and wanted the experience.
    As for resources the teacher usually sorted that out but TAs didn't mind helping out at times.

I'd say have a look at your job description to be aware of what is required of you. I second the last post too, make sure you work your hours, leave on time and get your 30 mins for lunch.
    Do the other TAs feel the same as you and was there a reason the teacher didn't mention you or the other TAs? If she doesn't know how you're feeling speak to her first as it may look like you're going behind her back if you go straight to the head teacher. If not then speak to the head teacher. Joining a union and getting advice from them could also help, running a nursery for 9 months sounds like a joke!
    A lot of schools rely on goodwill which isn't necessarily a bad thing but if it's affecting you at home then you really should speak to somebody.
    Hope it all gets sorted :)

8. this is a constant problem in early years and as far as i can tell for the 8 settings i have worked in is that its almost expected. people rarely take issue with it .
    at the moment my contract is 8.30-3.30 in nursery (i usuallu arrive at 8 or 8.15)
    a different nursery nurse tidies up for the 3.30-4pm while i have other tasks.
    one afternoon a week i have 1 hours planning and 1 hours preparation. usually its 1 1/2 planning, 1/2 an hour tiding away and prep in spare time. i refuse to make resources on a weekend but do type my planning up over the weekend if i have to.
    i have worked in many nurseries and i have had terrible work life balance and lots of unpaid work. this setting i have to say is the best but its take 3 years for me to fight for the time i need and i still feel expected to give more.