1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role not meeting NQT needs

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by teachtrevor, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Dear James
    I was fortunate enough to get a job for septemebr as an 'interventions' teacher for Year 2 (3 form entry), which I was promised would meet the needs of an NQT (as it means I don't have my own class, I was told I'd take large intervention roups (20+)). Anyway to cut a long stroy short I am now not teaching class sized groups, and pretty much acting as a TA taking small groups on the teachers say so in both mornings and afternoons. This is not due to my teaching ability as I have been told I am doing very well, but due to the needs of the children/other teachers. I'm now not sure what to do as my role is not allowing me to gain the relevent experience required.
    Thanks Trevor

2. Dear James
    I was fortunate enough to get a job for septemebr as an 'interventions' teacher for Year 2 (3 form entry), which I was promised would meet the needs of an NQT (as it means I don't have my own class, I was told I'd take large intervention roups (20+)). Anyway to cut a long stroy short I am now not teaching class sized groups, and pretty much acting as a TA taking small groups on the teachers say so in both mornings and afternoons. This is not due to my teaching ability as I have been told I am doing very well, but due to the needs of the children/other teachers. I'm now not sure what to do as my role is not allowing me to gain the relevent experience required.
    Thanks Trevor

3. Only the LACan determine if the post you hold is suitable for induction and the Headteacher should have sought advice on this before saying that is is an induction post. From what you describe, I doubt the LA would see it as an induction post, but the only way to tell is to get the LA to look over your job specification and make a decision. If it is not suitable for induction then either the head will have to alter your work so that you are teaching whole classes and carrying out the duties of a teacher in full or you will have to seek clarification again from the L A if they see this as similar to supply teaching, in which case you will have started the clock ticking ion your supply allowance.

James