1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Role Change Before Mat Leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by egk5817, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Hi everyone,

Just looking for advice and mostly others experiences!

I am due to go on mat leave a week before half term in October (due late October) - although my school is currently not aware of my plans they just know I'm due late Oct/early Nov. For reference I teach science/chemistry in an 11-18.

I've recently found out that they've hired an NQT as my mat leave cover and that they will start in September, 6-7 weeks before I go off. School have said nothing about what I will be doing in this time but it seems odd (to me) that they have hired someone to do my job for that length of time whilst I'm still there to do it (although I suspect my timetable will look nothing like it currently does!).

I was talking to the second in science about it and she said I (or the NQT) would probably be put on cover for those 6/7 weeks - is this allowed? I feel like they shouldn't be able to change my job role that drastically.

Noone else in my school that I am aware of has been in this situation - they have either gone off later than I plan to and have only been replaced once they have left, or they went on mat leave 1/2 weeks after school started in september and done mostly intervention/coursework catch up in those few weeks.

I know I need to speak to my HoD/someone else in the school about this but now is not the best time for a few reasons and I probably will in a few weeks time. Before I do I would love to have some idea of what other schools have done in this situation and what is reasonable/not reasonable.

Thanks!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

An NQT might not have been quite so willing to take an October start, as they'll be wanting complete terms to sign off their NQT. They'll also be off to a much better start with the kids if they begin in September. If the school can afford that extra six weeks of pay, it's probably a good investment, especially if you have any permanent vacancies coming up the next year. It also means less disruption if your baby turns up early- 10% do!

I think it is worth asking for more information about what you will be doing, as cover may not be appropriate on a large site in the later stages of pregnancy - if they're suggesting that, then ask what the plan B will be. There tends to be less need for cover in September anyway, so it may well be that you do a bit of team teaching/intervention/scheme of work development. If there's something you think "I wish we ever had time to...", maybe now's the time to suggest it!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

This is fairly common place for pregnancies with your timing - due at end of October could easily mean going on mat leave anytime in September onwards. It’s far better for the kids to just have one teacher all year rather than a change after only a few weeks.

See it as a bonus. My guess is you’ll end up doing intervention or cover - likely far less planning and marking than teaching your normal full timetable. I wish I’d managed to time my pregnancy like this; I was teaching up TIL 39 weeks as it was the most convenient time to leave, holidays wise (my choice of course).

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree in view of your expected pregnancy due date, it does make sense for the school to have the 'replacement' start in Sept and possibly use you for cover / teach-teach whatever they decide. People who return from maternity leave around Oct/ Nov often find their timetable reflects their not being there at the start of the year and often find they are used in 'other roles' PPA cover for example on their return.