1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Roehampton Primary PGCE Interview - 7th Dec

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ADMunro, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Anyone else got this or have been to an interview there recently? Got my confirmation through last week and I'd love to know what sort of preparation everyone is doing. I've got a copy of the TES and I've been reading the online articles too.. Also, what can I expect at interview?

2. Anyone else got this or have been to an interview there recently? Got my confirmation through last week and I'd love to know what sort of preparation everyone is doing. I've got a copy of the TES and I've been reading the online articles too.. Also, what can I expect at interview?

3. basilanderea

basilanderea New commenter

4. basilanderea

basilanderea New commenter

I am trying to be a teacher, can you help me out with the interview what is going on and what is the written task, please

5. MonstieBags

MonstieBags New commenter

Make sure you have school experience - at least two key stages.
    Read up on safeguarding policy - have a look at any school web site - there will be loads of policies on there.
    Be careful about collective worship - it's a bee in someone's bonnet - it has to be every day and broadly christian so read up on agreed Religious education too.
    Have an idea of how primary schools cover sex and drugs education - read your LA guidelines or policy or find a school website that covers it.
    Have a very clear idea of why you want to go into teaching.
    Be very aware of inclusivity.
    Make sure your degree is a core subject and if not, get yourself some subject knowledge enhancement now unless you are applying to teach a particular subject.
    I you want to teach primary, check out the English and maths test on line and make sure you will pass them.
    The written task could be about anything but most of all it will test your ability to exrpress yourself and spell correctly. i can't even remember what my written task was about - it will be something to do with education though so keep your eye on the news and read up on teaching and learning.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  6. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

There are quite a few threads on this already.

Use the Kent Uni teacher training interview question bank to help you. I guarantee that if you prepare answers to all of the questions, you will be very well prepared for your interview. It's the only thing I used and I was able to answer all of the questions well in my interview-I was offered a place in person at the end of my interview.

You also need to make sure that you can provide examples of when you have been resilient, be able to talk about what books you have read recently. You need to keep up to date with education news and be able to talk about one or two issues at length.

In terms of the written task, the university will look at your handwriting, general grammar, use of punctuation and place less emphasis on the content. My task was to write about what inspired me to go into teaching.

Reflection is a key word in teaching so at some point during your interview you may be asked to reflect on a teaching activity you've been asked to do. Have a look at some of the reflection models to help you to structure your answer.

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Congratulations. You must be very excited.

8. sparklepig2002

Unhelpful. These forums are supposed to offer help, encouragement and support.

9. sparklepig2002

Excellent advice.

10. sparklepig2002

…..and again.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    celago22 likes this.
  11. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

The post was started in 2011, haha, oh well. It will help others.

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

As it was 7 years ago I expect the excitement has dissipated by now ...

sparklepig2002 and celago22 like this.
  13. sparklepig2002

:D:D:D

14. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Does anyone think the poster is STILL in teaching? After all, seven years, or six after qualifying, positively qualifies you for a long-service award in education these days.

Let’s be kind and hope they got out after three, and now are earning a far better wage doing fewer hours a week in a friendly and supportive business venture in the south of France. It’s what we hope for us all, isn’t it?