1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rocks and soils-year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by queenlit, Feb 6, 2012.

1. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

2. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

3. Martin87

Martin87 New commenter

Quite a difficult one as it comes across so dull!
    I made a video of myself with a digital camera (dressed in disguise) as a scientist from the British National Museum requiring some help from the children in my class. Seemed to get them hooked.
    Then learnt about different types of rocks, what made up the earth, tested to see which rocks where permeable/non-permeable and did an archaelogical dig in a sandbox!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. I've just taught this alongside my Robin Hood topic. Robin Hood had to find a new place to live. I drew up a map of Sherwood Forest and each location was a different soil type. They had to test each soil and work out which one was best (growing crops, not flooding etc). Then we had to find a suitable rock for him to build shelters out of. We had a grouping challenge using key vocabularly. Finally, Little John accidently dropped the delivery of materials and we had to help to sort them all out. The class then wrote a letter back to Robin Hood to tell him where he should move and why. They loved it and I enjoyed teaching it!
    Hope it helps.

6. Hello VeryUglyBug, hope you don't mind me being very cheeky, but your lesson sounds really exciting and just what I am looking for. Have you got your MTP's for this lesson/ others? If so could you send it to me? lauraellenpack@gmail.com . Many thanks in advance if this is possible.

7. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

8. Thank you all very much. I'd never have found any of these sites.