1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rocks and Soils Year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lovely, Apr 18, 2008.

1. lovely

lovely Occasional commenter

Hithere

We linked it to the flinstones for literacy and did family descriptions! We also linked it to the art topic of portraying relationships by painting all of the family together. We then also linked it to photo frames dt unit by making the frames.
    We also made volcanoes!!!!!!!

2. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

I was offered help with this last half term
    http://www.geographyatthemovies.co.uk/index.html
    Click rocks on left and then scroll down to
    How are rocks formed? (about 14 clips down) It went down well with mine

try putting rocks in the 'search for box at the top right of this page....should come up with some things

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

This is the most deadly dull science topic ever. Get them to bring in 'interesting rocks'. Make a display. Dig a giant hole outside. What 'interesting rocks' did you find? etc etc.

4. Loved this video and sound - thanks

5. I get 4 types of cake - meringue, fruit, angel and madeira and 4 types of rock - chalk, sedimentary, one in layers and slate. We look at the cake and match it to the types of rock. Talk about size of particles, changes in colours, layers and the meringue is soft enough for you to write with. The children then draw diagrams of each piece of cake and the rock it matches using labels for particle size ect.

6. jammyhb

jammyhb New commenter

Are you based in London or Essex? My partner is a Year 3 teacher and a lady from UCL came into her class for a morning and brought many types of rocks and used them in a range of activites. They also dug up various parts of the playground to see what they could find! They put different soils in individual bottles with some water and shook them up to see how the make up of the soils varied as they settled in the bottle.

Scratch tests with sand paper were also popular as was getting the children to sort rocks using criteria the children had come up with themselves. The children were fascinated by the rock cycle and volcanos - which led to a side art/DT project where they made papier mache volocanos and used bicarb and vinegar to erupt them (this also went down well in their sharing assembly for the whole school!). Independent research also worked well. Hope this helps!

7. Do a Google of the Giants Causeway and base your lesson around that, you will find lots of interesting ideas and I also believe they have some resource material on the website too that you could adopt.
    I have visited the Giants Causeway and found it to be a most interesting place, I have also visited Fingal's Cave on Staffa, (the other end of the causeway) made up of the same Basalt columns, google that too and you'll be amazed at what you can gather together into many lessons that will in turn amaze your class.

Hope this helps...CTj

8. I used the geography at the movies clip last year and my class loved it!
    I have the same class this year and they asked to watch it again the other day!
    We watched it without sound first time though - just to make sure they actually learnt something!
    I didn't play with sound until the end of the lesson (and tried to do the lesson just before break/lunch/hometime!!!)

9. I'm taking my class to Wakefield Mining museum. If you live near any caves, Blue John mines etc, take them there.
    We are visiting local churches, looking at buildings, finding gargoyles and making our own gargoyles from clay. Rubbings from gravestones - ask the Vicar first!
    Filter different types of soil. look at famous buildings eg pyramids. What were they made out of?
    What would they look like if they had been made out of different types of rock?

10. Collating information using the Internet could be used with the children as a fact finding mission similar to the Mission Impossible TV series.
    Investigate the reason for the shape of the columns, what they are made of, the sizes (which are all of a uniform size) and why they should be. They originally were a deep sea of molten lava on a Gargantua's scale which slowly began to cool down. When such lava cooled it would contract and this would be done in a uniform manner. The contracting of the material would be of equal proportions from all directions within the mass of the pool and an equilibrium of force would cause the formation of the hexagonal shapes in the columns, it would suggest a slow cooling procedure as if there had been fast cooling IE with water, it would have caused an explosive reaction which would have fragmented to material. Consider too that the length of the causeway will stretch inland so far and out to sea as far as the western Islands, the later forming millions of years after the event.
    I would think there would certainly be one or two pupils that would take something away from this... I did.
    Just my suggestion though and I think it is a more viable one then the old Fin McKool version popularised by many library books, don't you? [​IMG]

CTj

11. Hi,

Im starting this topic next year with my new class as an NQT. I like the idea of linking to the Flinstones... Do you have any other info or resources about how you did this topic.

Thanks for your time.

12. hammie

hammie Senior commenter

I taught thius to three different year three classes last year, all in one school.
    The school had collections of rocks for the children to examine and identify against laminated pictures and descriptions.
    Followed up with a lesson on filtering mucky water using a variety of sieves and filters.
    I enjoy a bit of geology, the children loved it.
    Touching, smelling, licking(against instructions but hey ho!), weighing, scratching.....
    If your school has no physical resources then scream at them to get some! Rocks are cheap.
    Incidentally there was evidence of fossils in at least one of the samples which makes it really exciting! Anything to discuss dinosaurs
    If you already have rocks to play with, is it the children that are bored by it or the teacher?

13. For art you could link to the Stone Age and stick brown paper or sugar paper to the underside of the tables, turn all the lights off and make the classroom as dark as possible. The give the children torches and chalk/ pastels and get them to lie under tables and create 'cave paintings'. There are some brilliant kids cave art websites to show them first.

14. clare1117

clare1117 New commenter

I was really worried about teaching this last year, but to get my kids excited, I put some tables together at lunch, put all the rocks out on it and then covered them with some silver fabric. I got them really excited about what was under the fabric ("building the suspense") and then whipped off the sheet. The kids all gasped (cringe) and I let them have a play with them for 10-15 minutes. They flipping loved rocks and soils after that! Maybe my class were easily impressed...