1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rock Bottom

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 4019775, Dec 7, 2019.

1. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

ISR survey with 683 respondents showed 46% would be on the next flight out if given the chance to break their contract.

Much is made about teaching in UK but many international schools, driven by greed, are in the gutter. I have never come across the racism, bigotry and fraudulent behaviour of many of the admin in international schools in any other business. It is also worth noting that top drawer old school UK privates, like the one I am in, would not let anyone from the circuit through the door.

Sure the usual clowns claiming 'top tier' 20k a month will be along but the ISR survey, and the experience of many, shows international schools are in the gutter.

bobbingtoncrescent likes this.
  2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Are you still bitter that a bottom rate international school in Nigeria screwed you over? It really seems so. You often come on this forum and spout your made up international experience when you havent actually ever worked on the circuit. Perhaps you want to explain how so many of these "top draw" private schools have been in the press lately over exam cheating, drug dealing etc.

International teaching isnt for everyone, but i have had a truly amazing time, and i would never ever want to go back.... but then i have worked in amazing schools.

Give up @swsimp160 or @4019775 or which ever account you want to use.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Always be suspicious of surveys that rely on self-selected participants. It really skews the data.
    Happy people rarely take the time.
    Equally problematic, the question had inherent bias, encouraging negative thinking and negative results.
    I hold no faith in this survey at all.

T0nyGT and dumbbells66 like this.
  4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I hold no faith in ISR :)

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The ISR should be compulsory reading for anybody considering working on the international circuit, maybe the OP may have avoided the school in Nigerian. Just looking at any of the schools listed in the Nigerian section of the ISR would prevent me even filling in an application for ANY school in the country. Not to mention the news of murders and kidnappings happening around the county. I have seen all the bad situations as described in the ISR first hand I know many teachers who have as well so I would not dismiss all that is written there.

•Overbearing, micro-managing admin who bow to parents’ demands
    •Unqualified colleagues (admin favorites) in positions of authority
    •Parents that expect top grades & admin makes sure they get them
    •Students with strong sense of entitlement & lack of discipline/motivation
    •Admin offers little to no support. Kids running the show
    •Procedures reek of an overall distrust of the teaching staff
    •Low pay, poor housing, demanding hours, worthless benefits package

The Hippo will know all the stories about the Rotten Apple school are true and I have been screamed at by the Blonde Bombshell and I did not even work in her school.

Any body seriously looking at working in a bilingual school in China should read the ISR Most Recent Section before completing an application, some many school reviews all describing the same bad situations.

I would also look at many of the business magazines as well for information, the ones that describe Lagos as the most expensive and corrupt cities in the world. Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Singapore are described as the most expensive cities in the worlds for expats to live and work. Check facebook and other social media for information and reviews of schools, cities and countries before making the move to another job.

6. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

ISR has its place as a tool to gather information about schools, but like any research you shouldn't base your decisions only on one piece of info. Does the fact a school isn't listed, or doesn't have any bad reviews recently, mean that it's a great place to work? Likewise, ISR doesn't differentiate between different parts of a school, so you might miss out on working for a great secondary head because the primary one is an idiot. And bear in mind that people who complete these reviews tend to be the ones who are unhappy anyway - for each of them, there might be 5 or more who are happy.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  7. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Well I don't think your "top" school can afford 100,000 pounds a year salary I would need to earn the same post tax, and isn't 10 mins away from several beaches like my current school.

And no Brexit collapse of the economy looming. I drive pot hole free as well compared to broken Britain. Wife fell sick and was tested with a wide range of expensive tests in 2 hours treated straight away. No waiting. No cost.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, of course many of the lousy ISR reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt (or maybe an entire salt mine!) The good news is that there are usually other sources of information as well, so you can do some fact-checking and see if it all adds up. For example, I would recommend www.qatarliving.com to anyone who is thinking of teaching in Doha. Yes, you have to rummage around a bit.

There are some ISR reviews that try to give a more balanced view of things, the good and the bad. Unfortunately some reviews are now a bit out-of-date and therefore some teachers might get the idea that now everything is wonderful and all of the bad management have moved on. This is, in my opinion, a naive and over-optimistic view. In most cases, nothing much has changed and the school concerned has the same owner or owners. Therefore the same (or very similar) loonies are still trying to run their own asylum.

Mr_Frosty and Odyssey4 like this.
  9. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

Lots of variables. Everyone is different, every school is different. Do the research, make an informed decision and jump in with both feet.

ToK-tastic likes this.
  10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Imagine being so happy and content in your UK Private school that you have to go to a forum and constantly tell everyone how happy you are you how they wouldn't stand a chance in your school.

Something doesn't add up.

For me, the schools were a small part of me leaving. I hate British culture and would much rather spend my weekends sipping a beer by the sea in the heat. You can keep your rain, grey skies and Tesco

claytie and ToK-tastic like this.
  11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I dream about shopping in Tesco!

lolly77, mermy, Mr_Frosty and 2 others like this.
  12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Actually I take that back, I wouldn't mind a good Tesco

13. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Move to Hungary then....cheap beer and Tesco

mermy and Teachallover like this.
  14. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

I’ve said it before on here, I’ll say it again; ISR whilst not the be all and end all of researching a school, does have validity if you use common sense. Case in point; you read about a school in Beijing that did not health insure it’s teacher and frequently paid them late/ an influx of staff quit and now their enrollment means that some Grade levels have 0 children. There are literally dozens of reviews on ISR saying avoid this school like the plague.
    When I read my previous school’s reviews I’d say they are balanced and fair on the whole. If I read one crippling review within 9 on the whole positive I’d be more wary. Remember you’re making a life changing decision about where you may be moving to (not just the school but the city or country). Amongst other ways of researching, 30$ is well worth helping to avoid the potential devastation for me...

15. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Personal opinion. ISR is another tool that we all have in our armoury. If you take the school that I am at now as an example, it has a handful of paragraphs on ISR mainly good but one really bad one , which was probably written by a very disgruntled ex teacher who had recently been shown the door. Had I read that review alone I may not have taken this job, however, I do work here and I absolutely love my job, the city, the school and my workmates. After 20 years working overseas I am lucky that I have friends in many of the International schools around the world and that is a priceless asset. I have worked in 2 schools that I wish I hadn't but life goes on, one learns and then moves on. It would appear that the OP as well as Feb 31st made a massive mistake in the past. One in Africa and the other in China and it continues to colour their outlook on life. Life is too short for that to be honest.

Have a lovely Christmas,

Perce

16. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

HUGE Tescos like you wouldn’t believe :D

17. karel

karel Occasional commenter

And they do home delivery in Hungary!