1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Robust'- the buzz word of the moment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Anonymous, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

People used to talk of having a 'robust constitution' but I wasn't aware of the word ever being used on a large scale every day. Now I hear it all the time from the police, politicians and newsreaders.What exactly is it meant to mean?

2. It seems to have replaced 'progressive' which was the word on every politicians's lips a while back. I was never sure what that was supposed to mean either!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Politicians have been using robust for a few years now, also transparent!!

So a robust, transparent policy!!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

To deal with random rioting and unrest, 'random' being another overused word.

5. No: a robust, transparent, progressive policy with random additions.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

More entertaining:

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

From a friend of mine on facebook:
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
    <h6 class="uiStreamMessage">
    </h6>

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I normally have an intense dislike of buzzwords, but I do like both "random" and "robust".
    At the moment I cannot abide the lazy default usage of "around" (issues around, etc). Where has that come from? What happened to "issues regarding / relating to / appertaining to / concerning", etc?