1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robots will steal your job but that's ok!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eureka!, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

2. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

This is a very interesting debate on the subject.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

The article says these tests are: "The biggest UBI experiments, involving a whole town in Canada and 20 villages in India" - which, to me, suggests that there is a long way to go before it is likely to be accepted across the world!

4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

What about in the mind of FolkFan? Anyone there??!!

5. Morninglover

Don't be rude....

6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Quite possibly, but I find live debate very unsatisfactory compared to the written word, or diaglogue!

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

There is a pattern of you being very uncommitted to the causes you hint at espousing FF :)

8. Morninglover

I'm not 'espousing' any cause here - just pointing out that you have oversold the bandwagon you've jumped onto this time...as is often the case with you.... You need to take a reality check, IMHO....

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Fairly sure they once said that about computers in general and also the internet.

Surprising how quickly these things can take off.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Also, increased mechanisation/computerisation/automation increase productivity which drives up GDP. I heard something recently [might have been a crash course video on youtube, excellent little channel] saying US GDP had been relatively static in the 70s and it was automation that has led to the leap in GDP per head in the decades since as the USA has increasingly automated.

Other jobs are created via the process of automation.

Course, Japan is quite mechanised and its GDP is flatlined [I think?]

11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I feel I am a robot teacher anyway. All the spontaneity and creativity has been squished out leaving a dessicated husk.