1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robots Theme - Linked to the Iron Man

Discussion in 'Primary' started by monkey1, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Hi all
    It's back to work time :( I have spent the past two days getting organised and nearly completed my topic plan for the next 6 weeks. Our topic this half term is Robots! So I have planned to start it off with 4 weeks of literacy linked to iron man and from this link science, ICT, some maths, art and DT towards the focus of the Iron man.... where the children will end up writing own chapter about the iron man defeating their own robotic space dragon - which they will then make a model of in DT (with a moving part!) Well thats all planned soo far....
    I am now looking for resources to introduce and research robots over the years - and how some robots are fictional (but have purposes on screen and in books) and others are useful and in some cases essential in modern day life.... anyone got any idea where I can find resources/pictures etc for lessons on these areas?
    Any help would be greatfully recieved :)

2. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

Hamilton trust has a topic called rise of the robots. You may need to subscribe to the website but the resources and ideas they provide are good.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ask them to find out who coined the word robot. Also, Isaac Asimov has plenty of stuff...

How old are the children?

4. Hi Thank you for the replies
    I am a member of hamilton trust and have used lots of ideas for starting points for my planning - the resources on the site are okay but a little bitty in places and lots of the tasks are internet research - I only have one slot a week and with 33 children can get quite tricky!
    My class are year 4 so 8/9 years - they are going to love this topic as they are boy heavy and as i have got to know them keen for practical hands on lessons.

5. Could you access clips from the programme How It's Made on the freeview channel Quest? It shows how a lot of robots are used in industry.