1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robots for coding

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by laup, Feb 2, 2020.

1. laup

laup New commenter

Hi

I am looking to buy some robots for our coding curriculum. We are an 11-19 SEN secondary school working at KS2 levels.

Does anybody have any suggestions? We currently only have BeeBots and we need to move on from these.

Many thanks,

Paul

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I do not know your students but I would suggest that you give lego mindstorms a try. The programming interface is the same as scratch. I have used it to teach students to look at the program and change some parameters then work my way up to simple tasks like moving forward and backward. I have also taught youngsters to use MS small basic to program the robots.
    I have taught all of this to students as young as year 4 and they get it.

3. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Fisher-Price Code-a-Pillar is good for learners at KS1 level as it is very simple to use.

Lego WeDo is much easier to code than Mindstorms and suitable for upper KS1 and KS2 learners.
    https://education.lego.com/en-gb/product/wedo

For KS2 learners, Sphero would be a good choice as it can be used in a wider variety of ways. It also has the advantage of not looking babyish.
    https://www.sphero.com/education/

4. Matthewferris

Matthewferris New commenter

I also work in a SEN school at similar levels, but primary. Unfortunately I’m faced with a compete lack of funding. We did borrow some micro bits last year and the kids loved them. The user interface is very simple and like a lot lets you build from simple actions to using a range of output devices.