1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robotics kits for KS3

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by fkneg1, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Does anyone know of any good robotics kits (not too expensive!!) that could be used with KS3 in an after school club? I don't want anything too complicated but also want it to be a challenge for them. Thanks

2. Does anyone know of any good robotics kits (not too expensive!!) that could be used with KS3 in an after school club? I don't want anything too complicated but also want it to be a challenge for them. Thanks

3. There are a number of kits availble. Generally you get what you pay for. Two popular systems are the Microbot from Revolution and NXT from LEGO.
    The NXT has greater opportunity for design and construction activities and the Microbot leads neatly into using PICs for KS4 courses.
    However if this is extra-curricula have you thought about entering any competitions?
    FIRST Lego League and Robocup are both intended for this age group and the LEGO fits sperfectly. The IET Micromouse competion is suitable for both systems.
    But why restrict something so interesting to after school? Systems and control is still a requirement for KS3 D&T, robotics meets all the requirements.
    I noticed that AQA is running a robotics course for KS3 this term it is almost impossibe to find it on the website but this is the link.
    http://events.aqa.org.uk/ebooking/ViewMeetings.jsp?refresh=89188436
    Good luck in your venture, please keep us informed and if you need any further assistance