1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robotics curriculum and learning ladder

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by andyred37, Jul 1, 2018.

1. andyred37

andyred37 New commenter

Hi,

I am a newly qualified ICT / computing teacher at a small SEMH school.

I have been asked to start teaching robotics to KS3 pupils with SEN, using a mix of theory and practical. I have bought some Makeblock Mbots.

Does anyone have any experience or advice they can share in creating some schemes of work with structured activities?

Also, the head has asked me to create a skills-based learning ladder for this, again any help would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks,
    Andy

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

No total solution I'm afraid , but a couple of pointers
    First and most important of all . If you have bought the kits DO NOT let the students assemble them . Set aside a couple of days and do it yourself. While the build is pretty straightforward. It does require precision and concentration and I've witnessed a group of D&T sixth formers make a total pigs ear of something similar ending up with a pile of expensive junk.
    If possible keep one spare assembled one and keep one kit in bits for spare parts

Then your "Learning Ladder" - where do they get this stuff ?
    Keep it simple. 10 to 20 things and a tick list
    To get you started
    1) Understand that the robot is control by computer instructions
    20 ) Create a program to follow a line
    I'll let you fill in the rest yourself.There lots of tutorials around to help

For future reference .
    You are always best to set your objective first then buy equipment/resources to suit.
    Here, you have fallen of your feet and bought a fairly reasonable bit of kit . Unfortunately we do get far too many "I've bought gold plated diamond screened Ipads now what do I do with them" posts on here

mm71 likes this.
  3. madzystreet

madzystreet New commenter