1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robot Dance KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teacherfairy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Hi everyone! I'm trying to plan a unit of dance to fit in with my robot topic. But - I am clueless when it comes to dance!! Anyone who's taught this before know of any good websites with planning/ideas. Does the Val Sabin scheme have a unit on this?

2. A couple of ideas... coul do broaden it out so that it's a 'machines' dance or is your topic about robots specifically? I was thinking that if you say machines, there is a little more scope for a range of movements.
    Also, would it be worth using a book like the Iron Man as a starting point?

3. Thanks ellesabe :) My topic is robots - but machines could work too! They covered the Iron Man last year but I'm doing other robot texts with them to link in.

4. Any ideas where I can find any planning examples? I want to make sure I include all of the skills.

5. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Seem to remember that there is are some machine/robot tracks done by Top dance. I have done some lessons robot dances in the past, not strictly a unit - I just looked at the sort of skills that children needed to demonstrate incl. working independently/pair/group, innovating, demonstrating and improving routines. The initial session had no music - the focus was on angular movements - ie how would a robot move (no curved arms, rigid limbs, jerky movements etc) - give time for children to demo moves and class to practise some of the most interesting. I then introduced mirroring, unison, canon etc and children worked in pairs then 4s to create sequence of robotic movements. Subsequent lessons developed this with 'robotic/mechanical music. One of the sessions, everyone had to come up with a sequence showing how robots would do everyday tasks - the children worked in small groups and the other groups had to guess what they were doing e.g washing up, laying a table (I can't remember how this particular lesson fitted in with my topic at the time, but I do remember that lesson being particularly successful. Oh and one other thing - they had to enter the hall like a robot, stand quite still and wait to be switched on (mimed flicking on switch on their backs).
    Although I had ongoing assessment, I did also get the groups to do a final polished performance (which I would have recorded if the vid hadn't been out of action!!!)

Hope this might be of some help

6. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Urk, sorry about typos, should have read "there is/are some machine..." "some lessons on robot dances..."

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I did something similar to Wuzzy last term, using the Matrix theme. I have a plan I could email you, but I'm only an NQT so it might not be much good!

8. Wuzzy - some brilliant ideas thank you so much!! I love the idea of getting the other chn to guess which task they are doing!
    Sillow, if you don't mind that'd be fantastic! I was an NQT last year - I'm sure your plans will be brilliant! My e-mail address is year.4@live.co.uk
    Thanks so much again for the inspiration!

9. Hi ya
    I wondered if you could please send me the matrix dance plan you mentioned as I have been given a week to write a dance plan, as well as about 4 other plans! Thank you so much.
    My email address is jenthehen25@hotmail.com

:)

10. Whilst working on our dance PE unit during out ITT, out lecturer did a fab lesson based on the (I think) citroen advert that ran a few years ago... where the car transforms into a robot-like break dancer ...she played the video as the intial stimulus and we had to use the same music and choreography to inspire our own pieces, whilst considering various methods of travelling and use of levels. The kids would love it I'm sure, it's very funky! We enjoyed anyway! Hope that helps xxx

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

This unit is excellent but unfortunately it belongs to PESS. The website is password protected.

12. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

We did ours to "The Robots" by Kraftwerk. It was awesome!

Groups of 4- each child thinks of one robot like move. All practice all 4 moves together, then try to music. Then we built it up over the weeks, so one child came in at a time at the start of the song, then built in a whole class bit, and then the robots went haywire and broke, then the song finished! Was amazing and the kids were well into it. However I don't have any planning, because I did it spontaneously. Sorry!

13. Rockit by Herbie Hancock is an excellent start.
    But then I remember people doing robotics dancing in my eighties childhood.

14. The PESS unit on the citroen c4 advert is fab!! My Year 6's loved it (even the boys) Here's a link to the initial stimulus.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ckJFNkra8

15. Hello

Please could you tell me what PESS stands for? Are you able to join PESS so that I could access this unit?

Thanks

16. Hi

How can you access the PESS unit?

Thanks!

17. Hi, I'm working on making a robot scheme of work at the minute and would love some ideas if you got any that you could share :)..