1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robin Hood

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Roseman, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Roseman

Roseman New commenter

Hi
    We are having a week in school next week looking at Robin Hood as we are going to the theatre to watch this. The idea is that we focus on this in English so that the children have a better understanding of it.
    I am working in Year 4 and I am undecided on what to do with this for my class. I was thinking of Myths and Legends and then I thought I only have a week.
    Has anyone got any ideas I am having a real blank moment. I am also aware that there are going to be observations next week so need to be mindful of this too.

Thank you for any help
    Roseman

2. Primary_RE_teacher

Primary_RE_teacher Occasional commenter

Good luck

English- Creative Writing
    Maths- Investigation of how may miles
    Science- Food back then
    History- Living in the past
    Geography- Where did Robin Hood live?

All plans from the top of my head.

3. Primary_RE_teacher

Use these as a starter.

4. Primary_RE_teacher

Hi @Roseman I hope you use these plans :)

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

This resource may be worth a look @Roseman

Teachers TV Writing Historical Fiction

More info about the clip
    Robin Hood sparks KS1/KS2 literacy pupils' creative writing ideas.
    This clip is a stimulus for writing a historical story in KS1 or KS2 English. It can be played an interactive whiteboard and used as a lesson starter. An unidentified person is walking through the woods, staring round, as if startled by the strange sounds and sights. Suddenly a figure appears dressed in green…but who is it? Robin Hood? Or one of the other outlaws? What will happen next? The clip should be of particular relevance to classes who are reading about Robin Hood.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Which aspects? From a literary or numerical point of view?

Marcia Williams has written a fantastic version for children. You could consider the difference between fact and fiction which would lead on to Myths, Legends and Fairy Stories.
    Maths wise you could look at medieval coinage.
    History-look at the life of nuns and monks.
    Geography Forests and woodlands.
    Art you could experiment with camouflage colours to blend into the forest and design costumes. PE moving stealthily and climbing (ropes) if you have them in school.

7. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

8. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

History/art - Look into medieval castles. Draw/design a medieval castle and label all of the correct parts. Look at clips from the Robin Hood Disney movie of the castle. Have children make their own using different materials etc (1 per table, perhaps)

Geography is a perfect opportunity for forests/woodlands. I would have the children research the oldest forest, oldest/tallest tree etc and share them with the class.

Perhaps you could write limericks, there's quite a few Robin Hood limericks on Google Search for children. This would only need a week.

PE - medieval dance. A quick scour on YouTube for some music and moves wouldn't take too long and would be a really fun lesson for them.

Maths - money as coins. A quick shop for gold chocolate coins would really work wonders for this. Using the gold coins (medieval money) to solve mathematical problems etc.

I would also have the children write a review of the performance during one literacy lesson or afternoon. Modelled/shared review, gather all of their ideas etc. I would use these as part of a quick display on the back of our classroom door for 'Our trip to the theatre' etc.

9. starmandave

starmandave New commenter

Invite a Knight brings history to life, with a visit from a medieval knight (Viking, Saxon or Norman & Crusader) to your school. A Fully armoured Knight always grabs attention
    Our Knight also has time for a Q&A session as part of the 1hr (or lesson length) session.
    Our knight can talk to a single class or an entire school/year group
    https://www.invite-a-knight.co.uk/

10. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Three and a half years too late for Roseman - but I suppose you never know when you might need a knight in shining armour to protect a ladies honour, slay a few dragons or do a bit of pillaging.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:D:D:D Not sure it works for Robin Hood mind you!