1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robin Hood Literacy - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skt107, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Hello all you lovely people! This is a cry for help! I need to plan 3 literacy and numeracy lessons for observation next week (it's a drop in type observation) and I just can't wake my brain up! Have just handed reports in and spend 3 evenings last work with work commitments so it's fair to say I'm feeling a little behind and ready for the summer!
    Anyhow, I'm in literacy mode at the moment and thinking Robin Hood (legends - Yr 3).
    So far I am thinking Monday morning I need to get them inspired - maybe clues, a bit of detective work, although not sure how I'd organise this yet or what my learning objective would be.
    Then a lesson on characters/perspectives (lots of drama/role play/interviewing/thought bubbles maybe?) and then for the third I'm stuck, but maybe a lesson on setting. Robin Hood travelling through Sherwood forest.
    Would appreciate any suggestions or resources at all as I would quite like to enjoy just a little bit of my week end.
    How long is it until Summer.....?!
    Thank you in advance :)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't know how much help I can be, my brain's tired this end of the year too!
    But thinking about setting, made me think along the lines of the 'hollow trunk' & thinking about investigating different types of native British trees, ratios, proportion etc.for maths, how big would the 'hollow tree have to be for 5 people ? 6 people etc.?
    However going back to the literacy, what about descriptive vocab. for trees? or a tree-house?
    Obj. for Mon .What about 'I can follow clues to discover a mythical character ?
    If I have any 'brainwaves' I'll post again.

3. Just a word of advice, be careful using Robin Hood as the Primary Framework unit in Year 5 for Myths/Legends is all based around Robin Hood.

4. Thank you both! It's a child-led topic which they chose and our Y5 teacher hasn't covered Robin Hood in the past 2 years so I'm thinking it'll be okay!
    Struggling to think of clues for a detective type thing. Thinking Monday morning I might find a more creative way to introduce them to the story and get them to retell it using some talk for writing strategies - text mapping or something.
    Does anyone know where I can find a short, simple version of the story for retelling and any creative ideas other than just reading it together?

5. Up! (Sorry)

6. Just want to say thankyou to the person who posted Robin Hood's story in the resources area! I've decided that I'm gonna get different groups to retell the story from the perspective of a different character and we'll podcast the stories during the plenary. I hope it works - is always a bit risky doing speaking and listening with my lot!