1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robert Winston: 'We undervalue our primary teachers'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 21, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Here here I say.....we often have been the dogs body of the profession.
    We help to give the foundation which carries the child's learning throughout its life.

ScotSEN likes this.
  3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Or wreck it if you don't teach them Phonics, basic number (properly with formal methods for arithmetic), how to sit still and behave, etc.

4. stevejp65

stevejp65 New commenter

Here we go again....

Roll up, roll up, ladies and gentlemen for the oldest show in town!
    Who needs the Daily Wail to bash the teachers, when we're so good at bashing each other?

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've taught everything from Primary to HE and Primary was by far the most physically knackering sector. I moved on to Secondary after 6 years because I couldn't cope with the bodily fluids bit as I always felt like I needed a steam clean after work. For putting up with that bit alone Primary teachers have my full admiration and the rest of what they do is amazing.
    However, every sector sees young people develop and grow and has its own challenges.

ScotSEN likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You really, really have no idea what happens in primary schools, do you? Why not spend a week in one. observing what happens in all the different year groups?

Some years ago, I had a mature student (middle-aged, fresh from another career) in my Y6 class. He was about to begin a secondary PGCE maths course, but had to spend a week in a primary class room before beginning the course. After the first day, he came to me and said. "I had no idea you taught all that in primary schools." After the second day, when he had spent time looking at my planning, he said, "I thought in primary you just turned up and taught."

Now, you could argue he perhaps didn't know very much about teaching & schools generally - but by spending time in a primary class, his knowledge & understanding were broadened, and he may have continued his secondary career with respect - if not admiration - for his primary colleagues.

Give it a go, then your criticisms may be of value.

ScotSEN likes this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

We undervalue most teachers.

cassandramark2 and RedQuilt like this.
  8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

ScotSEN likes this.
  9. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I'm secondary too, would rather poke my eyes out than teach primary. I struggle with the odd hour a day I have with year 7! Give me a full day with year 11 than 1 hour with year 7. Chapeau to all the primary teachers.

10. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

11. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

Primary is way more difficult than any secondary job, from what I've seen. I really don't know how they do it and with so little free time to prepare. It isn't right that you have to sacrifice your whole being to teach in Primary School, but many still do - shame on the Government I say for allowing this state of affairs to drag on every year.

palmtree100 and ScotSEN like this.
  12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've got to point this out - it's "hear, hear".

johnberyl likes this.
  13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I feel frustrated when the people in the different sectors in education aren't able to see that ALL teaching posts are equally difficult but in different ways. It really is all swings and roundabouts ime.

14. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

It is indeed. Well spotted Middlemarch you noticed today's deliberate error! LOL

15. oldsomeman

Thank you Middlemarch for donning your head teacher hat and correctly telling me off.......but as I do not teach any more I do not think I shall be panicking ;)

16. oldsomeman

And ScotSEN you rightly say.it was deliberate lol