1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Robert Owen - essay test

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Mexicola, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Mexicola

Mexicola New commenter

Is the essay test that needs to be completed as part of the Robert Owen GTP interview based on a piece of literature or is the candidate required to write about teaching practice?

Thank you.

2. Mexicola

Mexicola New commenter

Is the essay test that needs to be completed as part of the Robert Owen GTP interview based on a piece of literature or is the candidate required to write about teaching practice?

Thank you.

3. pete14

pete14 New commenter

I suggest your most helpful route may be to contact them and ask them rather than relying on advice from well meaning people on here.

4. lyme

lyme New commenter

Hi there my interview is in a couple of weeks I have rang them today regarding the same, I will let you know if I find anything out before you.

5. Mexicola

Mexicola New commenter

Thanks lyme, hope to hear from you soon. My interview is on Thursday.

6. lyme

lyme New commenter

Hi I kept my fingers crossed for you yesterday, did it go well?
    x

7. Mexicola

Mexicola New commenter

I was offered a place! Thanks so much for keeping your fingers crossed for me, lyme. The interview went really well, it was quite informal - conducted by a very nice man named George, who I'm sure a few Robert Owen applicants will be familiar with. I've not been keeping as up-to-date with the GTP forum as I generally do so let me know where you stand, lyme. Have you been interviewed?

8. Mexicola

Mexicola New commenter

Duh! Just read one of your above posts - you can't have had your interview yet, please let me know the date so I can keep my fingers crossed for you when the time comes! I'm absolutely positive that you'll get a place.

9. lyme

lyme New commenter

Well Done you ! Yes I have heard that th interviews are informal in fact I have met George M before when he came to interview someone for the January start. I never take anything for granted but hope I will be ok. My interview date has been moved as George and co are attending a course ! Just waiting for the new date they wanted to interview me half term but my TM put her foot down. What are you doing at the mo?

10. Mexicola

Mexicola New commenter

I've been working as an unqualified Secondary English teacher since September at the school in which I have the training placement. After the interview I asked George if there was anything else I needed to do - he said the Consortium would contact the school in due course to get the ball rolling and that I'd be sent more information. I also need to arrange to sit a maths equivalence test as I got a 'D' in my GCSE - but that was eleven years ago and my numeracy skills have thankfully improved since then, so I reckon I'll get through it in one piece. Have you filled in the mountain of paperwork that they send?

11. lyme

lyme New commenter

The havent sent the paperwork yet ! My HOD is doing his nut at the moment! I have rang them to ask them them so send asap. I am also an unqualified and staying at my school, its comforting in a way as at least we wont have the added pressure of getting to know everyone at the start of the course. I also have to sit the Maths test though I am also taking the GCSE in June, that has been more difficult than my degree! I presume that the lack of Maths was not a problem at interview?

x

12. Mexicola

Mexicola New commenter

No, it wasn't a problem at all. From what I understand, it shouldn't present a problem to any aspiring teachers because the majority of validating bodies offer equivalence tests for people who did not achieve a 'C' or above in Maths, English or Science. I just need to organise the test and do some swotting in the meantime.

13. Hello, I also have an interview for Robert Owen in a couple of days and am currently freaking out. Would anyone be able to give me any advice on the interview process, thanks

14. It's been a couple of years since I did mine, but it was very relaxed and nothing to get too flustered about. One of the potential mentors came out to the school and had a chat with myself, the school training mentor and had a look around the school. The timed essay thing could've been done at any time, but I did my timed essay during the morning of the day of the visit/interview which was held in the afternoon. I was told there and then, and it was, as I remember, rather a good feeling. Good luck.

15. Thanks, they were lovely. I am still waiting for the results (with my fingers crossed).