1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Roast Duck

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Feb 11, 2012.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

We are a family of duck lovers and eat it fairly often (good local source of free-range birds!).
    I usually roast it and serve with a gravy which has orange juice and Madeira or Marsala in it + roast pots and green veg.
    Tomorrow's duck is defrosting and I fancy a different treatment, but still a whole roast duck, not jointed.
    Ideas?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

We are a family of duck lovers and eat it fairly often (good local source of free-range birds!).
    I usually roast it and serve with a gravy which has orange juice and Madeira or Marsala in it + roast pots and green veg.
    Tomorrow's duck is defrosting and I fancy a different treatment, but still a whole roast duck, not jointed.
    Ideas?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You could try something different in the gravy: port with plums, port with red currant jelly. Duck goes well with so many things!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

You could stuff the cavity with a quartered lemon, garlic, star anise, cinnamon and serve it with roasted apples for a bit of acidity alongside veg and potatoes.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

NIce ideas there, but I don't have any port.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

sounds interesting: I don't have any apples (kids have eaten them all) but I do have some cooked apple in the freezer.

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I think in the recipe I adapted it from, the apple was supposed to be as a sauce flavoured with star anise and cinnamon and ginger. When I tried it, the ginger was overpowering so I fiddled with it.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

De-glaze pan with white wine and add halved white grapes. Yummy!