1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Roast chicken Ideas?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon4561, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the forum!

OH is coming home tomorrow night... I have a whole chicken. I was going to make a basic roast chicken, but I thought that all of you lovely people would probably have ideas as to how to make it more interesting?

I'll only have a few hours before getting home, and cooking.. so hours of marinating it aren't possible...

Any interesting veggie side dishes would also be appreciated (was just going to do roast vegetables)

Thank you in advance!

2. Thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the forum!

OH is coming home tomorrow night... I have a whole chicken. I was going to make a basic roast chicken, but I thought that all of you lovely people would probably have ideas as to how to make it more interesting?

I'll only have a few hours before getting home, and cooking.. so hours of marinating it aren't possible...

Any interesting veggie side dishes would also be appreciated (was just going to do roast vegetables)

Thank you in advance!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Jamie Oliver has a recipe where you make a mix of unsalted butteer (lots of it), lemon juice, garlic, parsley and choppef parma ham (or any ari dried ham).
    Then stuff this between the skin and the flesh on the breast before roasting.
    Truly deelish and loads of buttery juices so very good with new potatoes and salad or any green veg.
    I'll try to find a link for you.

4. BelleDuJour

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Poach a whole head of garlic, cloves peeled and separated, in milk until soft. Drain, reserving a few tablespoons of milk and infuse a good pinch of saffron in this. Mash garlic to a puree and mix with plenty of good olive oil, handfuls of fresh coriander, a pinch ground cumin (or allspice or cinnamon) and the saffron milk and season. Stuff under the chicken skin as above in Belle's recipe.
    Roast. Make a thin gravy from the pan juices, some white wine and water.
    Serve with couscous or bulgur wheat with herbs, raisins and pine nuts stirred through and a green salad.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Good Morning Boxy! [​IMG]

Do you like garlic? You could go all 'retro' and do one of those chicken with 100 cloves of garlic thingummybobs...do an oldie dessert too.
    Or you can't go wrong with a 'classic' roast chicken dinner - with all the trimmings - home made bread sauce, giblet gravy (the only way to make gravy if you can get them!), roast potatoes, ....looking at my veg box this week I'd add celeriac mash, roasted onion, crushed carrot and stirfried cabbage (with greek joghurt and caraway seeds) - but go with what's seasonal for you!
    Have you considered a 'Heston' roast chicken? ....I thiok belle had a thread on that method...
    If the weather is warmer....roast the chicken but don't serve it hot....then add pickled bean salad...spiced carrot and peanut salad...coleslaw...non-mayo potato salad....loads of crusty bread.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I would go for chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, gratin dauphinoise and whatever vegetables are seasonal, or start with a salad.
    I can't find my recipe, lost when the hard disc crashed, but this article tells you how to do it. I use lemon thyme with the chicken and garlic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2003/oct/04/weekend.richardehrlich

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's a great recipe for roast chicken but it's definitely not one for cooking after work. You wouldn't eat til about 10.

9. BelleDuJour

Indeed you would not. Best for a weekend evening.

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

11. Thank you everyone! I'll check out the links, and figure out what to do in the morning (I'm on Oz-upside-down-time from you!) xxx

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Season chicken inside and out. Put a small onion inside and a pinch of oregano. Put olive oil over bird and the juice of a lemon and season with salt, pepper and oregano. Dot with butter. Surround with cubes of potatoes, abit smaller than you'd do for normal roast potatoes. Season, and make sure they're oiled. Sprinkle some unpeeled garlic cloves over, if you like. Pour a quarter pint of water into a corner of the baking tray and place, breast down, in 220C oven, Turn breast-side up after 20 minutes or so and lower heat to 200C. Cover breast with foil for a while to stop it scorching. Another 45 - 50 minutes should see it cooked, depending on the size of the bird. You be the judge.
    This is delicious. The potatoes wont be quite like English ones but they're not half tasty!

Don't skimp on the lemon juice. Use at least a whole lemon.

13. Thanks, Inky, and thanks again to everyone else. I'm afraid got sick, and am off work, so ended up doing a very basic roast.......but lots of ideas here for next time! Thank you!! [​IMG]