1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Roadshow

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SonsieLass, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonsieLass

SonsieLass New commenter

Hello. I am thinking of attending one of the recruitment roadshows being run by one of the rent a names. It would be for a position in China. ISR is scathing about the Shanghai franchise but taking that with a pinch of salt as it slated my last school which was an okay place to be. Could anyone give me any insight? Single teacher, 52, with 20+ years experience including HoD. Currently in UK but have international experience in a top tier. Children over 18, and at uni, but I am still bankrolling them so am looking for decent package. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

It seems this last couple of years in Shanghai the school in question is trying to improve the way it treats its staff [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

It may be a suitable place to start your international teaching career, but be advised that a 60yr age limit and tax changes have been introduced, not a long term option.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  3. SonsieLass

SonsieLass New commenter

4. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

This reply is absolute rubbish from someone who is complete unaware of what really happens in this school. The court case story is based on an inaccurate version of events from an individual with a personal grudge.

The school is exceptionally well recruited and has no trouble filling all places in both its international and bilingual school. I would go as far as to say it is now the best school in Shanghai

5. SonsieLass

SonsieLass New commenter

Thank you.

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Hello new head. Good luck

dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. february31st

T0nyGT likes this.
  8. GreenGlover

More uninformed comments, as Head has not changed for 4 years. I just wish that people would stick to what they know, rather than writing rubbish to discredit excellent schools.

9. yasf

yasf Established commenter

You were doing well until this bit - which pretty much undermined the rest of what you just said.

Is the franchise a for profit concern being run as a business to make money ? There are at least two well reputed schools in Shanghai that I know of that aren't. I very much doubt that the schools' Chinese owners will ever put in the amount of investment needed to catch those places up.

dumbbells66 and T0nyGT like this.
  10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

He couldn't go with second best. He had to get greedy. So close

yasf likes this.
  11. SonsieLass

SonsieLass New commenter

Thank you for your replies. I will go to one of the recruitment events and see what I think.

12. february31st

SonsieLass likes this.
  13. SonsieLass

SonsieLass New commenter

I think they are looking for staff for both their international and bilingual schools. As I said, I will go and see what they have to say in their presentation. I am currently in the UK and am not unhappy, but would like to end my teaching career where I started it - overseas. That being said, I will do my research and only go if the right position comes up and will not be tempted to compromise. I will be looking at a variety of countries, not just China. Many thanks for taking the time to reply to me, folks.

14. february31st

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    a Chinese school is in control of the education of the students. From the age of 7 to 15 the Chinese curriculum has to be taught by Chinese qualified teachers.

Check to see how many days the bilingual school works including Saturdays as 200 days is normal. Check the school day as Chinese schools run from 7.30 to 4.30. Will you get a Christmas holiday and it starts before December 27th.

Chinese school inspectors are visiting bilingual schools once a week to ensure standards and philosophy are been upheld. If the students dont obtain the national average for the school leaving certificate at 15yr the school will be closed.

15. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Wow. This forum really has become quite toxic hasn't it. No more sitting on the fence. I expect of some but not all.
    Perce

Bill8899 likes this.
  16. february31st

17. SonsieLass

SonsieLass New commenter

Hi Percy - I am reading the comments with interest and think that they have highlighted some things I would need to consider. I would rather sift through the potential negatives than go in with rose tinted glasses. I do not really see the comments as toxic - they are one person's experience. Their experience might not be what I encounter but surely a warts and all account, even from the perspective of one or even a few people is better than not knowing the downsides? Notwithstanding, I will make my own decisions after this roadshow and not before I have hopefully been for interviews for other locations. I might not even be that lucky as I am getting on a bit for some places!

18. GreenGlover

19. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

20. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

Please remember the following community guideline:

Anonymity: Users will not identify (nor describe in a way which could feasibly lead to identification) schools, students or fellow members of the community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.