1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Road Trips.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nice crinkly edges!

knitone, cissy3 and nomad like this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Yeh I knew that.

nomad and bombaysapphire like this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If you're going that way might I suggest you use the M11/A14 /A1 for your journey off to the North. The roads will give you access to Derbyshire(Peak district) with its caves and scenic places and walk going past on the way Ely in Suffolk if you like churches, up into the coast around lincs and on the Yorkshire with Whitby and heartbat country with loads of country road back road journeys. Then up to Northumberland and the beautiful Northumberland coat and some lovely villages and towns right up to Border counties if you wish.
    You can then have a direct route home down the A1 if you wish.
    TOr cross country and down the coast into the Lake District, through Derbyshire and chester, or into Shropshire to the Mund and then aslo calling at Oxford, the peak district and home?

silkywave likes this.
  4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Thanks again everybody.
    I'm still thinking!

How many counties have you been to? Has anyone visited them all?

#justwondering

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If your post doesn't send roadtrippers up to Scotland I don't know what will. (We found the mountains very exciting and the names of the mountains and beaches in that corner of the world are so romantic and exotic. )

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Wales
    Ireland
    Scotland
    France
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    Denmark
    Norway
    Sweden
    Finland
    Russia
    Estonia
    Germany
    Luxembourg
    Switzerland
    Italy
    Poland
    Slovakia
    Czech republic
    Spain
    Portugal
    Croatia
    Montenegro
    USA (17 states)
    Canada (6 provinces)
    Dubai
    Australia

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Forgot!
    Greece
    Barbados
    St Vincent and the Grenadines
    St Lucia
    St Kitts
    Martinique
    Guadalupe
    Grenada
    Tobago
    British Virgin Islands
    Antigua
    St Martyn
    Grenada

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Counties!!!! Sorry.:oops:

primarycat, chelsea2 and lilachardy like this.
  9. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

If you want to visit Cambridge and Norwich it is a bit of a detour from a straight route North. But depending on how far you have come from you could aim to arrive in Cambridge early, overnight there or nearby and then head off to Norwich early next morning. You could go via Ely (which is in Cambridgeshire, isn't it?) and visit the Cathedral (although unless it is Sunday you have to pay to get in, which you may or may not have an issue with - I know some people do). Ely has free parking and an excellent bookshop. Or if you like birdwatching you could push on and detour slightly off the A10 to Welney WWT, although it is a bit hit and miss in the summer. Alternatively, you could go via Thetford and stop at Thetford forest for a walk. Norwich has quite a lot you can do in the vicinity so depending on how long you have and whether you've stopped between Cambridge and Norwich you could plan one or two nights there. Then when you leave, you could take one of the roads out to the coast and take the coast road round to King's Lynn, stopping at places on the coast depending on what you want to do (history/birds/seals/walks etc.) You could stay overnight at Lynn (as there are a couple of the cheap chain hotels there) before heading off on the A17 through Lincolnshire to join the A1 to get North quickly-ish. You could also detour via Lincoln if you've got a bit longer. If you've got a bit longer unless you have already spent some time there, I'd consider a stop at York and then maybe heading up towards the coast (Scarborough or Whitby depending on what takes your fancy) on the way to Newcastle. You could visit places like Rievaulx, Helmsley etc. on the way. If you have never been there are some great Roman sites in Northumberland, which are well worth a stop too.

10. lilachardy

Thank you all.

Nice one, @blazer !!

I'm thinking that Newcastle is worth three or four nights so it'll be a separate trip - that's not to say we won't visit, but we won't be spending much time there. Same goes for Liverpool.

If we're doing a road trip and aiming for Scotland, I think we need to head north as quickly as possible (whilst enjoying the trip).

Thanks so much for all your ideas. I think I'm going to print off a map and annotate it.

blazer likes this.
  11. oldsomeman

If you are travelling from the South the Scotland id drivable ina day with 2 driving easy
    Depends where you want to go to in Scotland
    Going to Arren from London took us 7 hours with myself driving and a few breaks, We travelled up the M11,A14,A1 to Scottish corner then head across the country via Dumfries. This si a nicer journey than M1.M6
    As to counties, most have the countryside to view but often only a few places to visit, although a lot depends upon what you want.
    Liverpool you can do in a full day or two but if you search on these forums there was a whole thread on what one can do in Liverpool. Newcastle has some places but not as much as Liverpool as have most towns. Cheshire has Chester, Northumberland Durham and so one Glasgow is nice for a few days as is Edinburgh
    If you had time do the round Britain tour .stopping off as you go..should be a month or so lol
    If you want walking, 4 days 190 miles there is the Cumbrian way through the Lake District. Or Hadrian's Wall.
    I wish my legs would allow me to undertake such walks now,

12. Aquamarina1234

We're just about to start ours! Manchester airport in the slashing rain. Got through security in record time.

13. lilachardy

Thanks.

We're looking at around 5-6 hours to Birmingham, so it'll take a little longer to get to Scotland!
    However, thank you for your advice.

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

If you go to Thetford, be wary. It is not unlike Wisbech, without the charm. I see why Tom Paine got out...

15. oldsomeman

I shall snitch on you to my friend in Thetford :D

mothorchid likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You could do a lot worse than drive down the A49 between the Mersey and the Severn as an alternative to M6/M5 - very picturesque, and lots of varied places to visit. I drove up it the other day in the blistering heat and it was still worth the effort.

chelsea2 and lilachardy like this.
  17. lilachardy

John O'Groats. We want to go there.

18. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

:)I stopped in Thetford once when I went to a training course nearby. I was somewhat surprised by how little was there.
    For the record, I would like it noted I was suggesting some of the natural features in the area rather than the town itself:rolleyes:

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We plan to do New Zealand Like this in a few year time.

lilachardy likes this.