1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Road Trips.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Personally I would prefer to avoid the motorways. You'll miss so much.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's a balance to be struck between getting to the places you want to see in good time to see them, and crawling through endless clone towns and villages at 20mph whilst weaving round roundabouts and bobbing over speed bumps. Most medium-sized town actively discourage through traffic.

I've seen enough 'real' rural French towns and villages to know they're largely devoid of people and heavily speed restricted, and across mid-day they're shut. One plane tree avenue looks pretty much the same as another after a bit. Personally I'd rather whizz along the autoroute and have an extra couple of hours at the places I want to visit, but I accept that everyone has their own priorities and touring style.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Done a couple of road trips including route 66. There are places and things you won't want to miss so I would recommend at least 2 nights in these places to give you a drive free day to explore them. Nowhere in the UK is very far from anywhere else so you shouldn't be doing more than 100 miles in any one day I wouldn't have thought. Where possible we tried to make our 'rest' days non-driving days as well so did bus tours, walking tours etc. Try the little things as well as the big stuff. We did the deserts, forests and stuff but also managed a pub quiz in Santa Fe, New Mexico and even gatecrashed a high school prom in Barstow, California!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

7. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Bit dirgey. I'd want something a bit more upbeat on my road trip. Interesting pronunciation of Keighley? Is that how the natives say it?

8. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

In Scotland, there's very little traffic to contend with in the Highlands and Grampians and the views are stunning. Lots of midge repellent will be required on the west coast.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It will to the Scots, especially the Lowland Scots.

Travelling deisul (clockwise) if fine whereas travelling widdershins (anticlockwise) is considered unlucky.

If you don't want the pub and shop doors to be slammed in your face and chased out of town with pitchforks and burning torches, you'd better go deisul (tuathul in Scottish Gaelic).

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

America's great for road trips. Loads of cheap accommodation and wide straight empty roads. We're doing Boston to Niagara this year.

Research the area you intend to visit and make a list of places/things you want to see. The accommodation choices and route should follow on naturally from that.

blazer likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I was led to believe that the coastline of Britain (excluding Ireland) is over 10,000 miles, but that includes all the wiggly in and out bits, and probably not near roads. Do you include Anglesey (by bridge) or Isle of Wight? Arran?

cissy3 likes this.
  12. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Avoid M6 at all costs. Road works and sheer volume of traffic is a nightmare. Either go Cotswolds and up through Peak District NationalPark or up the wye Valley and Welsh Border.
    What are your interests? E.g. history, geology whatever.... as we could tailor this trip more to your tastes!

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

We like a bit of geocaching... open spaces, caves, animals etc. Science and nature, I guess!

We weren't intending to stick to the coast, to clarify - we'll head along towards Kent, then up North as far as we can, before turning round and coming back again. Or the other direction, if the Scots insist ;)

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Brighton, the Royal Pavilion is a must, but take a bit of time to explore more in Sussex, eg The Long Man at Wilmington, buy fish in the harbour in Newhaven. You can also do that in Poole.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

In terms of Euclidean mathematics you would be right, even taking into account geodesic rather than planar length.

That said, in terms of fractal mathematics the coastline is actually infinite. As the length of a fractal curve always diverges to infinity, if the coastline was measured with infinite or near-infinite resolution, the length of the infinitely short kinks in the coastline would add up to infinity.

Mind you, this relies on the assumption that space can be subdivided into infinitesimal sections. However, the Planck length, many orders of magnitude smaller than an atom, is proposed as the smallest measurable unit possible in the universe.

So, while not infinite, the length of our coastline is theoretically some billions of miles long.

cissy3 and lilachardy like this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

At what point does coastline stop? What I mean by this, is do river estuaries form part of the coastline? Why stop there and not continue all the way up the river to its source?

nomad and cissy3 like this.
  17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think it is a fair point that most if not all UK towns are not made for road trips, indeed more and more are actively against the car. Nowhere to park, million dollar fees if you do, death by hanging if you don't buy a ticket.

Whereas the USA is built for the car and the roads also for the car. Turn up in any town no matter how small in the USA and you can be guaranteed there is a motel or two for you and many shops close by, all open.

Loads of free camp sites, too.

You will get the feeling of being totally free and in control in the USA if you are on a road trip - it is truly unique and cannot be replicated anywhere else.

That is not to say you cannot have a ball here but it will be expensive, hotel owners/campsite owners are often grumpy and have a book of rules that makes you realise why we are the country of Ofsted. Little towns are a nightmare to drive through or park in.

Personally I think the UK is built more for motorcycle trips as you need the ability to do quick and immediate U turns to get the hell out of there.

Sometimes when motorbiking in the UK I wondered how on earth two cars meeting on some of these ridiculously narrow 'roads' (tracks called roads) could ever sort it out as I could barely get the bike past the oncoming car.

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Edit: in answer to @Duke of York

Of course, Slartibartfast won an award for his design of the coast of Norway.

[​IMG]

19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Stunningly beautiful with air so fresh you cannot stop coughing (your lungs are used to carp) but outrageously expensive, a very authoritarian people and a police force that has so few concerns it has all the time in the world to target motorists.

I would recommend go but once is enough, don't ever, ever speed and be sure you have checked with the AA all the little rules re the things you need with you.

cissy3 likes this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I had a ball, thanks.

Perfect weather for the first 8 days, which took me to Gairloch (I went widdershins), then a bit iffy, before picking up again for the last couple of days on the mainland (Applecross), then turning awful on Harris (the wedding I attended there was almost blown to Ireland!).

I used the NC 500 route as a framework, but did many detours onto even more minor roads, and managed to do a fair amount of walking & cycling each day, too.

Enjoyed the east coast, with so many places to stop at and explore.
    Loved the north coast, with perfect beaches and a backdrop of ever higher hills.
    Intimidated by the mountains of the west coast, but blown away by their grandeur.

Research was essential: I planned my stopovers roughly, and booked only the day ahead (apart from Applecross, which I booked in advance). As it happened, my rough route worked out perfectly, but even in May campsites were full - twice I got the last space with electric hook-up. Then each evening I would plan the next day's route in more detail, factoring in the places where I wanted to stop and spend more time. This didn't work quite so well, as I planned too much! But that gives me an excuse to happily drive it again.

Well worth doing, but good weather adds at least 50% to the experience.

lindenlea likes this.