1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Road Trips.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Whilst a road trip seems to me to be an American idea, I think it's a basic concept that exists everywhere.

For next summer (June, maybe?) I'm considering a road trip with my other half. The general idea is to go all around the 'edge' of England and into Scotland too over the course of two weeks. Whether we go clockwise or anticlockwise doesn't really matter.
    Does anyone have any advice?

Would you prefer to do one night in each place, or two nights so you get a day to explore thoroughly? Where would you consider to be unmissable?

Any thoughts welcome, and thanks in advance.

Lil

sodalime likes this.
  2. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I'm well jel as I'd love to do something like this.
    Are you planning on travelling in a mobile home/campervan or going by car and staying in local accommodation?

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Sounds great Lilac. A friend of mine has just bought a camper van and is doing exactly that. Their plan is to drive all the way round the coast . They stop off and explore places enroute, so that they are not driving every day.

4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

My only advice is look at what you want to see in each area and work out how many nights accordingly, with a bit of respect for doable drives in a day thrown in. Worked for us around northern Spain.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    bombaysapphire likes this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If in a mobile home I myself would prefer one night, as in many cases you will be staying in a caravan park in England or free camping almost anywhere in Scotland. It could be you want scenic routes and so stopping will only be for essentials and maybe an odd stroll through a town.
    If bed and breakfast you can stay one night but need to force your self to out early on the road.
    My wife dislikes one-night says so I get lumbered lol
    As to which way round a lot depends from where you start and what you hope to see. You could easily, for example, spend 2 weeks exploring the inner and Outer Hebrides or two days in a city so moving every other day.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

7. lilachardy

Hello, thanks all.

The plan is for Moon-and-stars hotel (or a rival) at the moment.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I really don't think two weeks is anywhere near enough, unless you want to spend all day, every day driving, stopping only to eat and sleep.

I spent 10 days recently driving the North Coast 500 from Inverness to John O'Groats to Applecross, spending only one night on each campsite. I then went to Harris, and from there had to drive straight to South Devon - NOT round the coast - that journey alone took me three night stopovers, and I was literally just driving, not stopping off to walk or visit places.

Why rush it? I think it needs at least 6 weeks, and probably longer to do more than just drive.

9. lilachardy

Because 6 weeks holiday is a luxury only teachers have.

I'd like to pick out some places to go rather than trying to do everything. Quality rather than quantity.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Fair point, and maybe England alone is doable in two weeks, though I doubt it. You've still got to cover the distance, even if you only pick out some places to visit.

This guy drove Britain's coast. It took 22 days to cover 5017 miles, driving on average for 9 hours a day.
    http://www.thamesmog.co.uk/articles/travel/329-around-britain-s-coast-roads-for-help-for-heroes

11. lilachardy

Considerations so far - this is the beginning of the long-list.

Brighton
    Norwich
    Cambridge
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Berwick-Upon-Tweed
    Liverpool
    Loch Ness

I don't know Scotland well enough yet to come up with many suggestions. We enjoyed Edinburgh...

I'm going to try not to turn this thread into a stream of consciousness... but maybe that gives people an idea.
    In reality, we're more country people than cities and although a city or two a week is fine, we wouldn't want to spend all the time in urban areas.

Thanks everyone :D

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I got into folk music in my mid-teens. The songs frequently referred to northern towns. Then I joined a folk music group, which was offered the chance of some gigs in Yorkshire.

There was other stuff going on at the time, as the Campaign for Real Ale had started to take hold and we were hearing about beers brewed in places they never taught us about at school.

Then there were all those mysterious places that the the football and racing results came from. Names of places I hadn't a clue where they were.

That trip to Yorkshire went through loads of places I'd heard of in songs. Places also I had heard played significant roles in the Industrial revolution.

It was just names on signposts as we passed them by on the road, but connections were made.

The first time I drove through France, it was all about wine regions I'd heard of. How fascinating to learn that some times you can pass through a wine region you've heard so much about in the blink of an eye, but you've got an hour's drive to pass through another.

Here's a folk song worth a listen if any of you fancy a trip to God's Own Country.

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You have to have the right music for a road trip.

Congested roads don't make for fun.

If you find somewhere lovely, stay longer and go back next year.

Don't plan your holiday around wifi connectivity.

14. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I will help you with your packing list.
    Loch Ness , cleg deterrent.

chelsea2 and lilachardy like this.
  15. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

widdershins!

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@chelsea2 How did it go? I thought of you when I saw this thread title.
    @lilachardy Some coastal roads in the summer can be very congested - we got fed up of crawling along Cornish roads the last time we were there a couple of years ago. The North Coast 500 route is fabulous but I expect is very busy now - we took it in the early years before it was very well known. I'd recommend Scotland though, particularly if you don't know it. The west coast is like nowhere else. Or why not Ireland?

17. lilachardy

Unfortunately we're used to the roads being crammed with grockles, but we're intending to go before the schools are out, so hopefully it'll be less of an issue.
    Ireland - well that's for another day! We loved what we saw in Dublin, Belfast and Carrickfergus and definitely intend to return some day.

lindenlea likes this.
  18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

We did a road trip up north, years ago. We used to find b&bs on the day we needed them, which worked out fine, and that was before 'phone internet.
    Go to Glencoe if you can - it really is haunting and for a place that's totally empty, it has a heavy atmosphere. Unless you go on a sunny, happy day, which we didn't...
    Also, Dunkeld Hermitage is a giant forest with all sorts of lovely walks. Ossian's Cave is there, too.

anotherauntsally and lilachardy like this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We usually take a month for our camper van road trips, but being semi-retired we have that luxury. Most recent was Orkney-Lewis-Harris-Skye-Mull. The next is another Tour de France, basically down the middle, along the bottom, and up the west coast.

We rarely spend more than two nights in any one place in France, unless we really like it. On the Scotland trip I think three nights was the maximum - we don't hang about.

You have to accept that road trips involve driving, so learn to love the drive. Maximum distance we've been in a day is 400 miles, but that was on French autoroutes. Normally it's a lot less than that, no more than 3 hours if we can help it.

chelsea2 likes this.
  20. lilachardy

Thanks again all.

@MSB - we both enjoy driving which is a good thing! I think for this kind of trip we've got a bit of a conundrum - do we use motorways to 'get there faster' and have more time at the destination, or take a slower road and enjoy the trip? Probably it varies, depending on the itinerary.