1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Road to school

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by HeightonS, Jun 20, 2019.

1. HeightonS

HeightonS New commenter

Hi can anyone help with any activity ideas for carpet time for the road to school writing, covering tracing patterns and colouring pictures, making marks

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You've been teaching young children for at least three years. Do you really still need help thinking of an activity for colouring pictures?

3. HeightonS

HeightonS New commenter

4. HeightonS

HeightonS New commenter

I didn’t ask for a sarcastic comment. Don’t bother replying then

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

That's not a helpful comment. We never stop learning ourselves and sometimes it is helpful to have a fresh imput. I thought the Idea of these forums was to help and support each other and share ideas.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've never heard of 'road to school' writing, I assume it is some fancy pants initiative.
    However I wouldn't have tracing patterns or colouring pictures as an activity for carpet time. Might have some available for free choice if children had show interest, but it definitely wouldn't be something I use in the general scheme of things.

For mark making, again I wouldn't have it as carpet time, but a quick look on google images or pintrest will give a zillion fabulous ideas. The book '50 fantastic ideas for mark making' also has some fantastic ideas...surprisingly enough!

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

You probably already have sue Cowley's 'road to writing' book so it is full of plenty of ideas, for developing physical skills.

I do think, though in agreement with Kartoshka, that you would get much better responses if you could try to:

• Share your own ideas instead of only ever asking for others'. Many of your posts start 'I need'
    • Contribute wider to other conversations here from time to time so that others can also learn from your thoughts.
    • Thank members when they do give you suggestions, something you very rarely do.
    Good luck with finding what you're looking for.

Kartoshka and littlejackhorner like this.