1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lardylegs, Feb 5, 2011.

1. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Anyone reading this? Bloody good so far!

2. lardylegs

Anyone reading this? Bloody good so far!

3. I thought it was fab too! Can't wait for the next one.
    I always thought his Doctor Who scripts were good too.

4. lardylegs

Hooray! Someone else read it! I have ordered Moon Over Soho, and can't wait! I thought it was really original, and very well crafted.

5. I'm so pleased to see that other people read this! I read it over half term and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a fresh take on 'magic' and I loved the characteristics of all the different rivers..

But I'm pleased to see others have enjoyed it too. I'm looking forward to the continuation of the series, should be interesting.

6. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Yes! yes! yes! Loved it! pooed all over American Gods by Neil Gaiman and reminded me a little bit of China Meiville's King Rat.
    I felt really flat after it finished and worried that I wouldn't find another gripping tale to read. I'm currently reading Zoo City by Lauren Beukes though and it's brilliant. Both were unknown authors to me before I read them. I love it when that happens! [​IMG]

7. I just finished it and liked it too. I did think it borrowed quite heavily from Gaiman's Neverwhere, though, only with rivers instead of tube stations

8. The sequel 'Moon over Soho' is out now. Just downloaded it to my \kindle.

9. Enjoyed that one too - I like that the characters are developing and he seems to be planning a series.

10. Aaronovitch is a Dr Who scriptwriter. He wrote two of my favourite 7th Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) stories. It is good to see his talents turned to this project.
    I think some of the concepts owe a serious debt to Gaiman, but I am enjoying the way Aaronovitch is developing his idea of magic coppers. Not sure the Met wouldn't be black magicians, though........