1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

River

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, Nov 18, 2015.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I HATED it but had to endure it because my wife likes it. For SIX weeks.

EXCEPT that last night she went to bed feeling poorly so I felt duty bound to watch it through so I could tell her the ending. And it was THAT WORD THAT'S A SWEAR WORD WE CAN'T SAY HERE!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I cannot tell you how much I hated it. Why would she even give him the time of day? I wouldn't give him a used hankie!

GRRRRRRRRR!

(...and breathe...)

3. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

While the previous 5 episodes were unbelievable and unrealistic (over and above the randall and hopkirk thing) the conclusion was worse and terribly weak. I hope there is no season 2.

4. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

"Madge"? Oh no, another person entirely...

5. aspensquiver

anotherauntsally likes this.
  6. aspensquiver

Jeez. It's only television.

As for your delightful "used hankie" remark, would you give any man anything?

anotherauntsally likes this.
  7. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

You should have spared yourself the pain and got her to read a proper synopsis in the guardian.

8. aspensquiver

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I loved it and thought the whole thing was great TV with some brilliant actors in it. Where do you start - the two main roles were great but then there was Leslie Manville and Sorcha Cusack who are both fabulous and I thought Adeel Akhtar as his side kick was just wonderful. The whole cast were pretty great actually.

HelenREMfan and anotherauntsally like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Even I can't deny there was some good acting.

Adeel Akhtar was brilliant. And what's Leslie Manville been doing? We don't see enough of her. She used to be in a lot of things but it seems a while since I've come across her.

11. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Isn't it the case that many good actors - especially female ones - find it difficult to get good roles once that hit middle age?

12. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I loved it as well - agree with Lindenlea about the actors.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I loved every episode and it just got better and better. The acting was just brilliant - you could feel River's grief and his frustration at being unable to express it. His new partner and his wife were so credible in their acceptance of his unacceptable and erratic behaviour.......just lovely examples of humanity when surrounded by the awful acts of Stevie's family.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I really liked it. However,I hope they don't make another series as I don't think it would work second time round.

15. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Fraid I have 3 episodes still to watch as have been busy, which may or not tell you something, but I can't tell what it is yet, which is probably the whole point.