1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

River art...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eggles, May 3, 2010.

1. Our topic this half term is rivers. My class love art and really like to do something different. Any ideas for art?

2. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Do you have a local river? Great use for outdoor education. Sit on the river bank and sketch what you see. Take photos, print them out and collage them. Study the wildlife and eco-systems. Create your own river.

3. School near us has a fence they've made river weavings in using shades of blue and green graduated and in wobbly river shapes. It looks quite good (is that old style fencing with the diagonal holes that you often get on council houses etc if that helps visualize it a little bit - as opposed to the more general spikey school stuff with the vertical bars)

4. We looked at Hokusai river paintings (http://www.degener.com/1749.jpg) , painted our own and made 3D versions in shoe boxes, using diffrerent papers and fabric scraps. Made a lovely display. It fitted in with our English as we were doing Kensuke's Kingdom and Hokusai features in that book.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I did this last year - they absolutely loved it (year 1). Is it from the jeron website msz?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

yes it is although the link doesn't seem to have worked

8. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

Hokusai waterfalls? (Not rivers, I know, but close!) We do wax pictures, scrunch and then paint over with ink. It looks fab. I'll try and find a photo.

9. Great ideas. Sorry forgot to say...I teach year 6. I like the Hokusai ideas. The children in my class are really good artists and would love to give the wax pictures a go. I'd love to see a picture if you have one. Thank you

10. We did a 3D collage/map of the course of our local river, from source tosea. Used coloured pastas and rice, tissue paper, card models & so on to create the local towns & cities along the way.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooooo now I might just steal that idea littlemisscurious.
    My year 5 class have very little experience of any kindof art, so are at a very low level in all areas. Hence I am doing loads with them to try and get them up to speed a bit.
    I reckon a huge collage of the Thames (school is more or less on it) would be fab on a display board AND take in all sorts of art techniques!
    Off to research now....