1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Rita Sullivan, will you marry me?", asked Dennis...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Middlemarch, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

So, watching Corrie this weekend, we built up to the big proposal scene, which was easy to anticipate as it was so well telegraphed.
    "I bet you a quid", I told my partner, "he uses her full name when he proposes."
    And, of course, he did.
    Why is it, on telly and especially in soaps, that when someone pops the question they always use the other person's full name?
    It's like some rule of TV scriptwriting and you can almost imagine the script editor, producer or whoever reading the writer's effort and saying, "Yes, that's fine - apart from this bit where Dennis says, 'Will you marry me?' You've forgotten the words 'Rita Sullivan'..."

2. Middlemarch

So, watching Corrie this weekend, we built up to the big proposal scene, which was easy to anticipate as it was so well telegraphed.
    "I bet you a quid", I told my partner, "he uses her full name when he proposes."
    And, of course, he did.
    Why is it, on telly and especially in soaps, that when someone pops the question they always use the other person's full name?
    It's like some rule of TV scriptwriting and you can almost imagine the script editor, producer or whoever reading the writer's effort and saying, "Yes, that's fine - apart from this bit where Dennis says, 'Will you marry me?' You've forgotten the words 'Rita Sullivan'..."

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It was the same in Downton Abbey when Matthew proposed to Lady Wotsit. It's supposed to add gravitas, perhaps. All it does is make me feel sick. It's preposterous, especially when the proposer and his intended are pushing 90.

4. Middlemarch

I know - it's obviously become 'the law' for writers doing proposal scenes.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I thought this episode was particularly badly scripted anyway.

6. Middlemarch

I do agree. I said as much whilst watching it. Barbara Knox's acting was also rubbish.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm impressed that you're persevering with it! I haven't seen it in years but I can picture the scenes you're discussing and I'm glad that I no longer watch it.

8. Middlemarch

I dip in and out these days. Only dipped back in a few episodes ago as I was lured by the 'who killed Frank?' story.
    It was his mum, obviously. She'll confess to Sally or Carla whilst holding them captive and threatening to kill them.

9. Oh it's a drug Seren!
    Even though some of the plots have been a bit far-fetched (I too thought the script-writers were poor in patches) there have been some brilliant characters on the cobbles over the years.
    The latest villain has been good....although I didn't know about the Dennis/Rita thing..although they have been the best of pals for some time. (I watch the omnibus edition at the weekend.) I like Rita....I read a while ago that Barbara Knox was leaving so will she ride off into the sunset with a new, kindly man?

10. Middlemarch

I don't know. But Barbara Knox is 79 this year and so perhaps she thinks she's done enough.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I know...I used to be addicted.
    It was the stupid story lines which made me give up on it. I couldn't handle the **** written about John whatsisname and Rosie...I'd have had the heart attack much sooner if I'd carried on watching that drivel.

12. I tend to only follow that one soap...and perhaps any drama series that I get into. I am glad I have 'catch-up' TV so I can do this because I long ago stopped sitting in at certain times so that I could see a favourite programme. Lots of stuff on the TV irritates me beyond belief.
    The Street however has me hooked and because I watched it the man now watches it with me too at the weekend. He won't admit to enjoying it though....It's like our 'feet up get the pop-corn out time...'
    I didn't realise Barbara Knox was 79. She is good for her age! I have always liked Rita's feistiness..and the fact that she's always been a shoulder to cry on and a bit of a sage for the youngsters. I believe Barbara from the Royle Family...can't think of the actresses name...Sheila something..is joining the Street. I am glad another 'mature' character is entering. More than anything all the far-fetched youth story-lines irritated me. Rosie Webster is no loss!

13. Middlemarch

Not only is Rita 79 inreal life, but Dennis is 76. Makes his being offered a job - even by 'a mate' - remarkable, doesn't it?
    That also led me to wonder why, when he was down and out, he didn't get in touch with his 'mate' in the first place.
    AND while I'm on Dennis, he couldn't afford to take Rita out,said he was skint, etc, but was going to get a taxi to Piccadilly railway station when there is a bus stop at the end of the road.
    I suppose he was merely conforming to another soap scriptwriter's convention: any character who leaves the street/square/etc must leave in a taxi, no matter how hard up they might be.

14. Middlemarch

Other soap script/story conventions:
    * Even the smallest business must be massively over-staffed - and those who work in it must live within spitting distance.
    * People who work in said small businesses must eat their lunch in the Rovers, probably paying more than they've actually earned that morning, when they would in reality go home for a sandwich. Or cheese on toast.
    * All small businesses on Coronation St must assume the properties of the Tardis and be massively bigger on the inside than is feasible from an external view.
    * Anyone who needs a job on Coronation St must get one - on Coronation St (unless about to leave story, in which case job must be in distant city) - within a few days of mentioning that need. UK unemployment figures have no bearing whatsoever on the availability of employment on Coro St.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Johnston- she who was married to the same husband in Brookie as she was in The Royles and was also the criminal profiler in that programme about cold cases with Bill Oddie's pretty daughter and Trevor Eve of the prissy mouth. I do find that's the hardest thing on telly; to think of characters in their new roles. I could never think of Sinbad from Brookie as anyone else when he was on Corrie and I still think Stella in Corrie is Cindy from Eastenders. I think someone should start a thread on it. Anyone else here suffer from the same problem? The choicest was when the posh A&E consultant in Holby City Hospital turned up as cockney David Wickes at his mum Pat's death bed.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

For a street that only has about 20 houses on it must have more murderers per yard than any other in the country. Even Midsomer at least spreads them out a bit. If you add on all the jail birds as well then I reckon 50% of the cast have done time!

17. Middlemarch

I was on the phone to a friend last night, during which I mentioned to her that 'Barbara Royle off The Royle Family who used to be Sheila Grant off Brookie is coming into Corrie as the mother of Cindy off Eastenders.'
    It does tend to make your conversations longer, I find.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Surely the choicest was when Jesus of Nazereth worked there (maybe he still does... I can't bear that either and only watch it when I'm at mum's).

19. Middlemarch

He'll always be Toby Wren off Doomwatch to me. I met him in a lift once, I stood there grinning inanely at him.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Oh I loved Doomwatch too and was broken hearted when Wren was killed. I'd have been grinning inanely right along with you if I'd been in the lift!