1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risky mnemonics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by simonc1978, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

That's the ticket. Singh is very good at what he does. He stands head and shoulders above those others.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You're doing a fantastic sales job on me DM. I was interested for myself but you have inspired me to try and organise a school trip and take some 6th formers too.
    It will give those already intending to apply for Maths/Science something interesting to talk about at their university interviews if nothing else.

3. Vince_Ulam

“Next.”

4. DM

DM New commenter

Vince seems to be doing his best to be objectionable now. Perhaps there is something in the water over at the National Centre portal?

5. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

Don't know what the water is like.
    I like the idea of 4 presenters. A bit like a festival, there's always a headline act (maybe personally) and a few other reasons to go. A few people get interested in the support act and everyone leaves happy.
    I like the idea of a school trip too. Will have to chat with science

6. Vince_Ulam

I’m certainly not being a contrarian and I’m sorry if that's how it seems to you. I simply don’t see comedy as a useful vehicle for the public understanding of maths and science and I'm happy to express this sentiment in any number of ways at the drop of any given hat. That, and I’m out of ibuprofen.

7. well - i loved the radio show - sorry vince - i'm only sorry tim minchin isn't on the ticket
    my 'child' is a 13yo who right now is watching 'family guy' (ugh!)

8. Vince_Ulam

That’s alright, Flora. I’ve just discovered a forgotten stash which would see me through to Friday but on learning that you prefer Minchin to Family Guy I’m afraid that I may have to binge.

9. DM

DM New commenter

Feynman thought otherwise.

10. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

so goldacre is a pottymouth but Family guy is okay?

I've read a few articles by Goldacre, and he seems make good points about samples and statisitcs. I'm not sure how he delivers this in a live performance though.
    I've seen a few episodes of Family Guy which is pretty funny, but certainly not clean humour like simpsons, worse than the risky menomics!

Had the Enigma a while back. This time a guy delivered it. It was okay, but it was exactly the same presentation that Nadia gave when she presented it before. Nadia now does a great session on risk and probability, and I think she said she would be doing an Olympic one in time for next year.
    And Simon Singh would be worth seeing on alone. Especially if it helps pay for any legal fees.

11. Vince_Ulam

I wasn’t aware that Feynman was a stand-up comedian.

12. Vince_Ulam

There are numerous near-knuckle gags in FG but I can’t recall any verbal vulgarity. With Goldacre it seems to be something in which he takes pride; his outbursts on that YouTube clip I referenced earlier were really quite disgusting.
    Absolutely, and you could simply send Singh a cheque to the value of the ticket or tickets. He’d see more of it that way and the others wouldn’t be encouraged to continue in this odd vein.

13. I agree with Vince that the YouTube clip mentioned earlier was certainly not the most edifying thing ever.
    I can't really comment on the specifics beyond that.

In general though, I'm not against humour if it helps to engage people or to get a point across. IMO the Royal Institution Christmas lectures are great examples of making science/maths popular and they are quite fluffy in parts.

14. DM

DM New commenter

He usually sat down.

15. Vince_Ulam

Feynman was a witty American. That made him an atypical American but it didn’t make him a comedian.

16. "The woman jumping in the swimming pool wasn't too pretty, so I could think of something else', I found that quite amusing.

17. DM

DM New commenter

Matt Parker has just decided to become a bus driver.

18. DM

DM New commenter

Oscar Wilde was wrong about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit. That "honour" goes to stereotyping.

19. Go DM!

Quite dangerous to quote Oscar Wilde though, he made so many famous quotes you can almost guarantee a Wilde inspired counter quote back.

20. Vince_Ulam

Omni or serial?