1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risky mnemonics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by simonc1978, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I am not sure but weebeeca must be good for something - except of course being able to answer a direct question!

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I stand corrected Weebee.

The Bowland materials are excellent and the best way of teaching functional maths since sliced bread. It is entirely my incompetence as a teacher that casued me to have some problems when i tried to use them and the reason the kids either didnt understand what to do or didnt like the cheesy resources and video clips was entirely down to me and my failure to deliver the lesson.

Are you going to answer my other question or not :

Do you accept disruptive behaviour is unacceptable?

3. Mike it's not so much of a big issue for me as it is for you when I'm settling classes.
    If I can ignore it I do until more important things are sorted out.
    As I said my first priority is to ensure the maths being taught is relevant and engaging for the students. I tend to pick pedegogical strategies which aren't destroyed by bad behaviour. So less teaching from the front, more individual and group work.
    I watch the behaviour and prioritise it, sifting of that which is genuinely interfering with the learning of others and that which is indicating to me that students are not coping from the rest of it. At first I ignore the rest of it. Because I've adjusted my style of teaching it's easier to deal with the behavioural issues I've prioritised in ways which resolve them rather than firefight them.
    It's a journey. It can take a long time. Eventually the class will be in a place where they really respect what they are doing in maths, they respect themselves and they respect me. Then the less important behavioural stuff rapidly follows.
    But disruptive behaviour which relates to giftedness (as a lot of it does)? That I deliberately try not to stamp out. I just try to mould it so it inspires the class rather than disrupting it.
    Except when the inpectors are in of course! Well actually that depends on the inspector. Word rapidly goes round small schools as to the level of insight of the inspector.

But if I have a teacher like you who needs firm boundaries in order to teach then I do my best to make sure you've got them so that you can establish a positive relationship with your students. I'd give you classes which suit you. I'd back you up. And when you're settled and comfortable I'd work with you to encourage you to experiment with new teaching strategies, starting from those you show an interest in.

I'm perfectly comfortable being me Mike. I want my (virtual/imaginary/ex.) staff to be comfortable being them. This isn't a competition, it's a collaboration in the interests of the students.

4. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

OMG this is simply unbelievable and yes I am now reporting you.

You dont know me - you have never seen me teach and yet you htink you can make comments such as
    Who the heck do you think you are?

and as for
    do you live on planet Earth?

5. DM

DM New commenter

And they are virtual/imaginary/ex staff aren't they? I seem to remember you told us you were the only full time member of your Department (or was there one other person, I can't recall?).

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

So what exactly can you do that isnt effected by someone playing on a phone and making no effort with the work?

Oh of course your work is son wonderfully interesting that even the most disaffected pupil cant resist putting their heart and soul into it.

I am suprised I havent seen more of you on the teaching awards - oh I forgot your not even a teacher.

What you say sounds so good in thory - but thats were you start and thats were you finish.
    The rest of us live in the real world

7. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

8. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

weebecka, being able to ignore the behaviour of a few who aren't interested in the lesson whilst you engage with those who are, and then assume that the few will eventually get interested, is a nice idea but certainly not an idea that will be passing many observations.
    Surely the whole class needs to be paying attention? Otherwise you'll just be repeating yourself, to lazy kids who weren't listening in the first place. All they will learn is that they don't have to listen, because teacher will repeat it for them. (and the keen kids might eventually realise that they don't have to work hard either)
    Mike says he has tried Bowland. He says it didn't work for him.
    You say you have tried Bowland. You say it did work for you.
    Why can't you just accept that, rather than accuse it of being 'his funeral'?

9. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

And disruptive behaviour stems from being gifted?
    Well maybe, for a few kids who are smart, but lazy, who for one reason or another do badly in a few tests and drop down into a lower group, and find the work easy and then switch off.
    But there are many many more who are just disruptive, without any maths talent. In fact some pupils disrupt deliberately to hide their inability, they'd rather be told off for throwing paper than be told they can't add up.

It might be that some disruptive behaviour on this forum stems from posters who think they are gifted?

10. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Lol pipipi
    Of course I totally agree lack of challenge can be a reason for disruptive behaviour (but not an excuse for it) but to suggest its the main reason studnets are disruptive is not true of any class i have taught (or senn being taught) in 13 years.
    This is much more common and some kids are just disruptive full stop (sometimes due to special needs)

11. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I wnat to confirm it was weebee that seemed to suggest this not you - my post did not make that clear

Of course I totally agree lack of challenge can be a reason for disruptive behaviour by gifted chiuldren (but not an excuse for it) but to suggest as webee did that its the main reason studnets are disruptive is not true of any class i have taught (or senn being taught) in 13 years.

12. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

So we do agree sometimes then Mike!
    Cheers[​IMG] Yummy!

13. DM

DM New commenter

He's "on tour" soon with Ben Goldacre, Simon Singh and Robin Ince. Thinking of arranging a school trip to see it.

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

ROFLMAO!! Get yourself into x-bar pipipi. I need to buy you a drink.[​IMG]

15. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

On Tour?
    Do they need groupies? (not the school trip part)

16. DM

DM New commenter

17. Ya. I'm also happy with "Toa Cah Soh" because in Chinese (Hokkien), it means "Big Leg Aunt".

18. DM

DM New commenter

I have twice taken students to see Simon Singh speak and they all thoroughly enjoyed it and were buzzing about it afterwards. Simon chatted with them and copied some of the material from his presentation onto their memory sticks. I can say with absolute certainty that this helped several students make up their minds to apply to read physics or mathematics at university.