1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risky mnemonics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by simonc1978, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Thanks for this LiamD.
    We could ask - which child is behaving better?
    The child who consistently demonstrates blind obedience or the one who is disruptive because they are seeking to understand the reason for the rules.
    Or we could not ask that question because our assumption is that the answer is not universal. The greatest mistake would be to assume there's a universal answer either way.
    History time again.

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

More psycological and academic waffle but I will *** eto the bait on this one.

Blind obediance is clearly a more desirable behaviour the being disruptive. Not understanding a rule is not a reason to break it and disrupt the learning of others.
    Other people have rights - children and teacher have the right to expect their lessons not to be disrupted.

You can seek to understand the reasons why we inforce rules by asking - there is no need to disrupt lessons.

3. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

that should have said rise to the bait - not quite sure why it got starred!

4. Have you seen the History Boys? Did you even look at Bowland CPD 1 let alone work through it slowly and carefully which is an essential requirement for engaging with the material? Or do you refuse to engage with any of the evidence?

5. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Do you accept that disruptive behaviour is unacceptable and your previous post was inaccurate.

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I have worked slowly and carefully throw several of the Bowland modules and even with time spent developing and trying to get them to make them accessable I have not managed it.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Have you read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?

8. DM

DM New commenter

... or Noddy goes to Toytown?

9. Have you worked slowly and carefully through even the first module of the Bowland CPD?
    The teach you how to teach using real life or fantasy scenarios.
    The modules themselves don't. If you went straight to the modules it will only have made things worse.

You straw manning me Karvol?

10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

If you would like to believe so, then go ahead. I was merely enquiring as to your erudition.

11. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

as usual you answer my question about behaviour - on which you are clearly wrong - we another question which I havbe already answered.

Whats the point?

Please dont expect me to reply to any of your other posts - I knew it was a mistake this time

12. My apologies Mike, I missed your answer. Please could you give me a link to it?
    Or was it a convoluted no and I don't need to because I did the exact opposite of what i was supposed to do therefore I know it doesn't work?
    Please state your question about behaviour again. I really didn't mean to ignore it.

Karvol I haven't seen the film recently. I think i saw it a long time ago but I can't be sure. I don't really remember.

13. karvol and maths_mike - is now the time to switch to tes beta?

14. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

No, but I've seen Debbie Does Differential Equations. Stimulating stuff.

15. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

my post 97 which you ignored

16. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

My post 98. Not really convulted - i thing anyone would understand that no i have not vworking through the module you mentioned but i haver lookede through them all an eorked in deataiul on several others all without success

17. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

however how you can interoret this as " i did the exact opposite of what i am supposed to do" is again where your logic is beyond anything that makes sense to me

18. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

sry for typos in previous posts was doing something else at the same time

19. All the Bowland CPD sessions and follow up and literature made it as clear as they possibly could that the student modules do nor teach teachers how to teach functional maths. You should not try to use them until you have been through relevant CPD.
    If you chose to ignore the advice then that's your funeral. Which clearly it was. You seem to be determined to prove to yourself that you can't do this. Which is your right.
    Just don't expect others to agree that it can't be done or that it isn't a good idea to do it just because you've deliberately chosen not to do it.

20. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

Mike,
    Is there a risky menomic of Bowland Maths?