1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risky mnemonics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by simonc1978, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

To save you the bother i will remake my point.

There is a lot more to solving trig (or any other mathematical problem) than memorising a formula.

Most students capable of the degree of understanding to solve problems will have no problem remembering the formulae - some may use mnemonics some other methods - its up to them i dont care. (but I dont see the need -ever - for then to be lewd or dirty)

So the mnemonic (or other memory aid) is only ever usefull to people who can solve the problems.

2. Sorry - just me being over-sensitive!

3. When I was in Y11 we went on a study day before GCSE study leave. There were various workshops we rotated round, mindmaps, effective revision and this that and the other... then there was the head teacher's workshop. Its the only one I can remember anything about!
    He told us a) we must make sure we drink plenty of water - if our pee isn't pale its poorly!
    b) how to remember words (particularly in another language) by relating them to something that reminds you of it. The example he gave was "en cuir" (meaning made of leather in French) - he remembers the word for that by thinking of people who might wear leather trousers, that might include gay men, they are sometimes described and "queer" and that is pronounced the same as "en cuir". Potentially totally politically incorrect but I will never forget how to say leather trousers in French!
    he also did a lot of nmemonics - can't remember all of them but I definitely remember making up our own and some were quite x-rated!

4. Well thats strange i fell from my chairfrom the next room, tripped over the carpet and smashed thru the window and got run over my a passing steam roller when i heard a similar racist mnemonic in Bromley College it goes like this.. i'm too embaressed to say it but i got the boot from that place 2 weeks later.

5. I remember lots of mnemonics from school, including this trig one but I must say my a long life since school I have never, no, not once, needed to use it.

7. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Lets say you did - for some reason - life and death - you needed to solve a trig problem. You remember the mneumonic. Could you solve the problem?

8. How many posts will it take you to notice that no-one is interested in arguing with you about whether knowing the forumuals is sufficient for being able to do trig. or not Mike?
    No because your mnemonic got so bored it keeled over and died with mneumonia.

9. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

how many posts will it take you to notice that your views and opinions on everything from counting dogs to every gouvernment educational policy that was ever written are of no interest to anyone and frquently inaccurate and impratical?

As I said before if you rely on being (or allowing children to be) "lewd and dirty" to make your lesson interesting them that says it all - especiaaly from someone with your superior educational knowledge i would expect better.

10. When I was in (the equivalent of) Year 7 - back in 1970! - the French teacher told us how not to confuse devant (in front of) and derrière (behind)
    In a particularly emphatic way, he said "Well, lads [it was an all boys school], the word for behind is the one with all the<u> r's</u> in it"
    N

11. Dear bbibbler. In many, many external inspections none of my lessons have ever been graded unsatisfactor.
    How delightful of you to write lies about me like this.
    At present I work in university part time teaching trainee teachers. It suits me perfectly because I can get full days work which I couldn't get as a secondary maths teacher. And it's really interesting work - I didn't fancy having to drop down from being a HOD to go part time.
    This arrangement allows me to 'do right' by our three young chidren and to have a job I love.
    I left my last employment on very good terms with everyone after there were a surplus of middle managers due to two schools merging. I hope to go back to secondary teaching in a few years once my youngest is settled in to school and have never had it suggested I'll have a problem doing that (bar the obvious of there actually being a relevant job available and having to be the best candidate for the job). I'm currently writing PhD proposals as I can do a lot of the research for a PhD from home, it's something I've always wanted to do and this seems a sensible time to do it if I've ever going to. It'll be hard for me to commute to my current job once my youngest starts nursery.

Perhaps you'd like to give us some idea why you're writing what you're writing bbibbler?

To mike - I'm sorry I got angry with you. A poster who's been bullied here in maths (as well as in other places in this forum) posted on opinion that he's needed pscyhiatric help to cope with it. I'd watched what happend to him.
    I got upset with all the negativity.
    You got the blast of that which you didn't deserve.
    I'm sorry.

12. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

If all of your lesson were satisfactory or better, why did you have many tantrums because Ofsted would not change thier results?

Your ofsted reports are public documents, you cannot get them changed.

13. *shifts uncomfortably in seat*
    Am I the only one who thinks bbibbler is out of order here?

14. Hang on.
    Firstly - a lot of my students use innuendo but it's laughed off - in fact to relate to the original point my top set Y11 found it hilarious that one of their group said 'I'll remember it like 'Suck A Toe'.
    That said, there have to be boundaries in a teacher-student relationship and including sexual elements in conversation is pretty much not on.
    And as for weebecka's point about students with behavioural issues - how are students ever going to learn what is appropriate or not when lewd behaviour is tolerated rather than challenged?
    Right there you have the biggest problem with schools at the moment - tolerating, rather than challenging incorrect behaviour.

15. er - I find those comments totally inappropriate too. Anyone who'd like to meet the 'real me' is welcome to come and say hi at ATM conference. Just PM me if you don't know who I am.

Scentless - behaviour is a huge issue. But in experience of turning classes with serious behaviour issues around, my first priority has always been to focus on ensuring the mathematics they are doing is engaging and relevant too them.

I've then worked on addressing the specific issues which are still preventing specific students engaging with the lessons.

Then the behaviour of the whole class just drops into place and they will do anything reasonable I want because they respect themselves, they respect me and they deeply value the experience they are having (providing they haven't been up all night with horrific issues at home and they aren't abusing drugs in which case anything can still happen and the person dealing with them should not be me during a mathematics lesson).

I disagree.
    The biggest problem with schools at the minute could be considered to be that teachers are not free to use their intelligence to do what I described above because they are constantly having to respond to narrow, inappropriate direction from outside the school.

Or it could be the dismantling of the infrastructure of state education.

Or it could be teachers pensions.

Personally I don't think it is students making up dirty mnemonics to help them remember formulae.
    However I respect your right to totally disagree.

16. grr, how do you uninstall google so the kids don't open it by accident?

17. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

To bbibbler:
    This seems pretty black and white. If you are basing your claim on back and forth postings from TES then that seems ill-advised. If you have concrete evidence for your slurs, then you should put up or shut up (so to speak).

18. Weebecka
    Tolerating exactly this sort of attitude is very much a problem. Lax attitudes to education, not taking the content matter seriously, lewd behaviour (lacking respect for the teacher) etc are hindrances to managing the classroom environment and ensure that a good lesson can take place.
    These behaviours indicate the increasing overly social environment that is the classroom, which I see as the biggest barrier to good teaching and learning.
    Maths is difficult enough to teach as it is without students taking it seriously - turning the lesson into a fun hang out means you might as well give up.

19. lewd behaviour = lack of respect for the teacher?
    Not in my book scentless.
    Lewd behaviour = making up naughty rhymes.
    Lack of respect for the teacher = lack of respect for the teacher.

20. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

What constitutes "high standards of behaviour" please. I'm genuinely not sure I know. I'm convinced that if you asked a 100 parents or teachers or pupils, you'd get 100 different answers. Sure there'd be many common themes but there would also be significant differences. I use the school rules to define what is appropriate. Can't speak for everyone, but where I work the rules are fairly ambiguous.
    My impression from this thread is that we, as teachers, follow an unwritten code of ethics. As a working-class laddie educated in a comprehensive school, I suspect my code of ethics is somewhat different from that of an individual whose background is middle-class.
    Again, speaking only from my experience, I know that in my school we give out mixed-messages to our students about what good behaviour is. It has nothing to do with being trendy or 'down with the kids' or whatever you choose to call it. It's simply that as individuals we're all different. Not better or worse necessarily - just diverse. Variety is the spice of life and all that.
    In my classroom I want everyone to practise respect first and foremost. To understand that everyone in the room is valued. When we achieve that then we've cracked it. Education follows.