1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risky lesson

Discussion in 'English' started by BASILIUS, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Oh ***!!!! This kind of 'let's be creative for being creative's sake' bugs the hell out of me. What sort of risk are you supposed to take!? Walk into the dept. tomorrow with a flame thrower and a tiger on a lead and see what they say...

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I vote for this :)

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

Did they say risky or risque? [​IMG]
    (I'm afraid I don't know how to put the accent on the e)

4. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Pin the letters up in sealed envelopes on trees or railings / posts around the grounds, with a number on the envelope. Put students into numbered groups. They have to go out and find their letter, come back to the classroom and write their replies in their groups without your input/seeing. Then they have a stamped envelope which they seal their replies in. The names on the envelope are the (first) names of colleagues in other groups, with the address of the school and your name so they get to you! The students all go to the post box and post these, then wait for them to return before you do the follow-up lesson on looking at each other's work.
    Risk - everything from letting them go around the school to not seeing what they write and not opening the envelopes when they return before they do in the follow-up lesson, not knowing when you'll be able to do the follow up lesson (reliant on the post - don't hold your breath!) and taking them offsite to get to the post box.
    Any help?

5. ladyzelda

ladyzelda New commenter

Sounds a great idea - thanks for that! The weather forecast is good for tomorrow, so that will be one less risk factor!

6. Plan a totally safe lesson which still engages and enthuses students.
    Risk: proving whoever came up with "risky = good/fun" wrong.

7. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Let me know how it goes (quite like this idea for a lesson myself!)
    So, is this a management idea? Do all teachers have to do this for all lessons for the day? Sounds like potential chaos, but also great fun for shaking us out of our comfort zones!