1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risky being too opinionated on these forums.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by TrewB, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrewB

TrewB New commenter

I am curious as to whether it is perhaps risky being too open about the dire state of supply in the UK at the moment on these forums.

Of course, people need to speak the truth. However, I am wondering if school cover organisers (usually a member of SMT) who organise supply or agencies can often identify people quite easily?

Possibly so.

In which case it may make meagre work dry up even more.

Views welcomed.

2. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

Don't fret, you're unidentifiable.

Unless you've really 'spilled the beans' about yourself, and some cover supervisor has a real grudge that compels them to read your entire posting history. Most unlikely!

rosievoice and pepper5 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi TrewB

The topic about the dire state of supply has been discussed on this forum and I can't see why that would offend anyone anywhere and possibly lead to even less work.

There are threads which would offend agency consultants and SMT far more than the topic of the dire state of supply.

nearmiss likes this.
  4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Much as I hate to see many of my prophecies of doom come into being, I have to say to many of my former detractors in this forum, "I told you so". It wasn't that long ago that my posts identifying a looming crisis and urging supply teachers to avoid agencies were met with an angry cyber mob jostling to jab me with their cyber pitchforks.
    Yes, TrewB, it's not a pretty sight in the supply arena right now. It's hard to be anything but critical of the whole system.
    Sadly it appears that if you can fool some of the people some of the time, you can get away with exploiting schools and teachers for years.
    A relative of mine who is also a teacher, a member of the same union as me and a school governor had this to say when I asked for an opinion about the agency rip-off: "It's not my problem."
    You will find that indifference lies at the heart of all this. Beyond the confines of the TES, even members of our own profession don't care. Many of the regular users of this forum do care and have been rolling the rock up the hill for years. Change may come, but only if people push for it. Supply teachers have an excellent case for a review at Government level. Some unions have staged several supply events and lobbies, none of which were given any Press coverage at all, in spite of blanket releases of Press Briefings.
    Last week I was booed off for suggesting that supply teachers get stuck in, get active in their unions, continue to lobby local government and MPs to alert them to the scandal of agencies' non-compliant practice. There's plenty going on and plenty of initiatives but it's a numbers game.
    Change won't come from above unless the case for change is made to the right people repeatedly.
    That is, was and will continue to be my point whether anyone likes it or not.
    Pepper is quite right, what you say on here will not make any difference to agencies' approach to you. What you do out there in real life will.

Lara mfl 05 and Om100 like this.
  5. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Well said, nearmiss.
    I was recently at a union supply teacher meeting. Very useful, helpful, free CPD, free lunch etc.
    The organiser spent a few minutes out of the whole schedule to explain what the union was doing and asking people to publicise it to colleagues. One of the participants took huge exception to this, and complained to the whole group loudly that she had not come for a sales pitch but for CPD. I pointed out to her that she was a member, not a consumer of a purchased service, and so should be prepared to be involved and give something back to the union, as well as just being on the receiving end. She was uncomprehending.

ezcoach likes this.
  6. Om100

Om100 New commenter

I agree with near miss.
    Teachers, as professionals in my experience often tend to do themselves no favours, and be deluded to their exploration. There are far too many management stooges, ass licker and jobsworths in the profession who basically are their own worst enemies.
    It is time for people to seriously revolt and recognise the appalling mess we are in.

7. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

"Teachers, as professionals in my experience often tend to do themselves no favours, and be deluded to their exploration. There are far too many management stooges, ass licker and jobsworths in the profession who basically are their own worst enemies. It is time for people to seriously revolt and recognise the appalling mess we are in."

It is this kind of post that proves teachers are most certainly not 'professionals'.

8. Om100

Om100 New commenter

**** off you padantic ******. It was a typo ********.

9. Om100

Om100 New commenter

I really think this proves how childish and pathetic some people are. Grow up and accept it was a typo. You really are a total *****. I bet you have no freinds

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.