1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risks to BAME staff in schools

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by barriappi, May 19, 2020.

1. barriappi

barriappi New commenter

I have read the LA and school risk assessments for return to school on 1st June. However, there is no mention of managing the risks to staff from BAME community. Does anyone know where I could find a risk assessment for the Teachers or TAs from the BAME? Please let me know if you are happy to share.Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sorry, can't assist directly but I'm curious about whether there is any evidence that BAME teachers do have any different risks to other ethnic groups as far as Covid-19 is concerned.

Some of the experts on here may know if they see your thread.

I know that for the population as a whole the risk to people from a BAME background is a lot higher but a lot of the statistical analysis I've seen reported says that may not be because they are BAME but because BAME families are more likely to be low income, live in poorer housing and have more pre-existing medical conditions. One might think that if you look at BAME teachers most of those differences are considerably diminished (although I have no evidence for that).

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

BAME is hardly a uniform group. Africans are the most genetically diverse of all people, indeed with more genetic diversity than all others put together.

popomumu and alex_teccy like this.
  4. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

Isn't this just devastatingly sad to be the case in 2020

5. Coldplayer250

Coldplayer250 New commenter

WitchFingers, Curae and tall tales like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I suspect that risk factors between different schools may be as significant as ethnicity.
    I am vulnerable for reasons of medical history. My assessments of risks as I plan a return to work are based on building architecture, the small number of children, their lack of social mixing, and travel risks tempered by a couple of medical risk factors.
    Your personal assessment should be based on similar things plus your own factors.
    You need to consider:
    Factors that you can control
    Factors you can control with SLT help
    Factors you need to work with the kids to control
    Factors outside control.
    Then make a decision.

peter12171 and TheoGriff like this.
  7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

If men, obese people, pregnant people, BAME staff, older staff etc are at more risk, surely that leaves few staff able to go in-and in any case, should any be doing so?
    Also surely only primary staff are 'expected' to go in every day-by the government-not by unions?

Catgirl1964 and Piranha like this.
  8. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

Well isn't that what's going to happen when you have migration from Asia/Africa?

People either migrate because they are super rich and want a better lifestyle or super poor and see an opportunity, with the ratio is going to be in favour of the latter. Most people don't need to take the risk and stay put.

So you can't avoid it unless you shut down migration based on ethnicity, which is bad.

It's a good argument for raising living standards for the poorest though, which we absolutely need to do.

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  9. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

According to the ONS, Black people are four times more likely to die from Covid -19 than white, and that’s factoring in society inequality etc. So, yes, I think a risk assessment should be done for BAME staff.

bajan likes this.
  10. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

It's because of reporting like this that people like Tommy Robinson exist.

11. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

We are all in this together!

12. Rott Weiler

No, 4x was the 'headline' number of deaths before factoring anything in.

After adjusting for age, location and some measures of deprivation, disadvantage and prior health ONS found that the death rate among black men and women was 1.9 times as high as white men and women. For Bangladeshi and Pakistani men the risk was 1.8 times higher, and for women in those communities it was 1.6 times higher.

But many factors were not taken into account, in particular, in the context of this discussion, occupation and social class.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52574931

So, back to the OP's question, I'm interested to know what you could do differently for BAME staff (other than tell them not to come to work).

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  13. Romoletto

Romoletto New commenter

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...l-nhs-and-carer-deaths-with-covid-19-11977263

I think the same things could have been said for NHS workers but it seems to be that they are still disproportionately dying compared to their colleagues.

Whilst that is true, I think that the commonality between them all is a prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and that seems to be a theory gaining ground.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-growing-evidence-on-vitamin-d-and-covid

Just spitballing here but:

maybe free vitamin D injections or Lodi ten supply of vitamin D supplements and not having to go to work until Vitamin D levels are at whatever level the medical professionals deem to be adequate.

14. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

Wow....How about those who are Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic groups who never migrated from Africa or Asia but were actually born here? A huge assumption to make that BAME humans in UK migrated from Africa or Asia!

This however, I do agree with.

popomumu and hamcguin like this.
  15. SparkMaths

I didn't assume that, when talking about averages and probability you aren't saying EVERYONE in a group is the same, usually it's just looking at outliers.

Also two things:

1) It takes time for families to become established in the new country and social mobility isn't very good here, so even a few generations in you may have little change in circumstances. Obviously a lot of people do well which brings us to the next point...

2) New BAME migrants in the last few decades are a larger proportion of the total BAME population (~10%) than European migrants are of the total European population (~90%). So BAME people born here don't effect the stats as much.

So basically we have a lot of people of all kinds with poor living conditions and poor social mobility to get out and it needs fixing, with who is migrating being a factor in who is in those conditions.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Dorsetdreams likes this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That is quite possibly the most ignorant post I have ever seen on here.
    Sorry.
    Your post is steeped in the most entrenched form of "them and us" possible.
    I wont say any more.
    I don't think you'd get it.

Melj16 likes this.
  17. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

18. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Not according to BBC and Guardian

19. Rott Weiler

Did you notice that the link in my post was to the BBC and the data I quoted was a copy+paste from the BBC news item?

Pomza and alex_teccy like this.
  20. SparkMaths

???

I haven't said anything like that at all.

I'm simply saying that if you have migration then those people are going to show up in measures of poverty (eg vulnerability to Covid-19), because that's why people migrate for the most part.

If we had high migration from Ireland then Irish people would be showing up as being more vulnerable to Covid-19 because of poor living conditions and being over represented as key workers. This was actually the case 100-200 years ago.

I'm not blaming anybody for anything or saying that we shouldn't have migration (we should).