1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risk of redundancy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by amjeg, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Can anyone help me with advice??? I have been at my present school for 4 years in total, for just under 2 years I have been on a permanent contract. I am a nursery teacher and our numbers have drastically declined for Sept with all of my children going in to reception for the new 1 term intake. I was encouraged (strongly) to recommend to all of my parents that they send their children into full time school (even if they were not ready) and have now hit the situation where a collegue strongly suggested I start looking for a new job. I have approached my head who has said at this stage she is not at liberty to tell me if they are shutting the nursery class, however if I could look at things from her point of view what would I do. My head then said I cannot and would not stop you looking for another position for September.
    I feel very let down as they have obviously known for some time they may be considering closing the nursery class and could have let me know before half term when there were many more jobs available (1 of which I know I would have had a strong possibility of getting) and it was completely kept quiet. I hadn't even been informed of my numbers for September this was hidden from me until this week.
    I am left thinking do I apply for anything for September to try and avoid not having a job which has been strongly hinted or would I be silly to leave my jpermanent contract when they are obviously going to have to make a redundancy in school, basically it has been hinted that has to be me because it is that class closing but is this the case?? Where do I stand? I have no idea what to do, if I follow their 'helpful' advice and leave of my own accord am I just helping them out of a sticky position??

If someone could help I would be very grateful, I am totally torn out of loyalty for school as until now I have been so happy there and would have happily stayed for many years, and the need to provide for my family.

2. Can anyone help me with advice??? I have been at my present school for 4 years in total, for just under 2 years I have been on a permanent contract. I am a nursery teacher and our numbers have drastically declined for Sept with all of my children going in to reception for the new 1 term intake. I was encouraged (strongly) to recommend to all of my parents that they send their children into full time school (even if they were not ready) and have now hit the situation where a collegue strongly suggested I start looking for a new job. I have approached my head who has said at this stage she is not at liberty to tell me if they are shutting the nursery class, however if I could look at things from her point of view what would I do. My head then said I cannot and would not stop you looking for another position for September.
    I feel very let down as they have obviously known for some time they may be considering closing the nursery class and could have let me know before half term when there were many more jobs available (1 of which I know I would have had a strong possibility of getting) and it was completely kept quiet. I hadn't even been informed of my numbers for September this was hidden from me until this week.
    I am left thinking do I apply for anything for September to try and avoid not having a job which has been strongly hinted or would I be silly to leave my jpermanent contract when they are obviously going to have to make a redundancy in school, basically it has been hinted that has to be me because it is that class closing but is this the case?? Where do I stand? I have no idea what to do, if I follow their 'helpful' advice and leave of my own accord am I just helping them out of a sticky position??

If someone could help I would be very grateful, I am totally torn out of loyalty for school as until now I have been so happy there and would have happily stayed for many years, and the need to provide for my family.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I would strongly recommend that you contact your union and see what is in your best interests.
    The school will do whatever is in its best interests, and if that means making you redundant, then so be it.
    You absolutely have to look out for yourself.

4. Thank you :)