1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risk Assessment

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by shell276, Jul 25, 2019.

1. shell276

shell276 New commenter

Hi All,

I’m 17 weeks pregnant and I haven’t had my risk assessment completed yet. I’ll probably complete it myself over the summer.

Did anyone specify no cover/no duties in their risk assessment?
    I’m a science teacher so have that to consider too.

2. KBBrooks

KBBrooks New commenter

Hi, I was about the 17wks last September and also a science teacher. I found stairs too much on November and asked for no cover etc where stairs were involved. I did my duty drive it was in canteen and of still go there to get a snack . I still worked with radioactive sources too after doing some reading on it.

3. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

Early on I was ok with duties but I think it would be worth putting in as after 20 weeks or so my duty became more difficult when I needed the break between lessons. We also had to move to go into a lab as many of the rooms were classrooms so carrying books and equipment was also factored into mine. I’m having quite a complicated pregnancy and so mine was supposed to be updated but never was. I ended up with doctors notes for ameneded duties and restricted hours. Good luck.

4. shell276

shell276 New commenter

Thanks for your responses.
    Have either of you faced the prospect of ofsted?

They are due in the first term back? I get stressed with observations as it is, so don’t know how I would cope with ofsted:

5. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I had Ofsted when I was about 7 months pregnant and it stressed me out quite significantly. However, when it came to it, it wasn't that bad. The lead up after the call was very intense and very stressful but I spoke to my senior leaders about it. I've also suffered with very severe sickness during pregnancy which I was concerned about and was still being violently sick at 7 months.

On the actual day of the inspection, the inspector was made aware of my pregnancy before entering my classroom and I was treated very sympathetically. She stayed in my classroom for a very short period of time (less than 10 minutes) and was very unobtrusive. She was really nice about it.

6. shell276

shell276 New commenter

That’s my concern that i’ll Get really stressed. I’m a high risk pregnancy as it is due to a pre-existing medical condition. I’m going to write something about observations in my risk assessment but not really sure what to include, or how to really start the risk assessment in itself!

7. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

My pregnancy risk assessment identified the need for a stress risk assessment. Work never actually got round to doing the stress RA but they do exist!