1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risk assessment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ballagirl, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have done an old friend a favour by arranging for them to do 3 days work experience with me as a taster as she is thinking of applying to teacher training as a mature student. We had lost contact for about 7 years so I don't know her very well any more. Anyway my head agreed so it's all arranged, but now my head has asked for a risk assessment and my mind has gone blank. All I have managed to think of is not leaving her on her own because she is not police checked, telling her about the child with an epi pen and getting her emergency contact details in case she has any sort of accident while she is in the school. Sorry to be so dense, but can you please help me with what else I need to put down. Many thanks!

2. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

A couple of others:
    Giving out personal details may put her at risk of allegations of inappropriate behaviour.

She may not be aware of students' special dietary needs/allergies.
    A pupil may disclose information that suggests they are at risk. She needs to refer on.
    She will not know all the fire evacuation procedures.
    She might intervene to stop a fight resulting in accusation of assault.

3. She might be assaulted...tbh, your school's standard risk assessment should cover visitors and all you need to do is the standard housekeeping stuff - toilets, fire exits, what the fire bell sounds like - because you're not going to leave her alone with anyone!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Make sure she knows where the toilets are
    Make sure she wears appropriate clothing especially shoes.
    Make sure she reveived adequate training should you be using any hazardous activities (hot things, sharp things).

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Your bursar should 'put her on the strength' as a volunteer. That way she will be covered by your employers' insurance.

6. Thank you everyone. There is so much to think about these days isn't there!