1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Risk Assessment for self employed professional in mainstream classroom?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by amunt, Sep 23, 2018.

1. amunt

amunt New commenter

I work 1:1 with children in different mainstream classrooms - I am self employed. This year one school has asked that I fill in a risk assessment, but I don't really know what to write. It's not for the risks the child presents as most of the time he is supported by school staff and my presence presents no additional risks? They've given me a template with headings such as 'who is at risk?' 'What is the risk' etc.. but I am only ever in the classroom so it's all a bit absurd.

I don't want to come across as obstructive or that I can't be bothered, but no idea what to write. Couldn't get anything appropriate from Google. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. ladylyra

ladylyra New commenter

I don't think it'd be obstructive to say you're not sure what to write and ask them what exactly they want assessed. It could be something perfectly simple (as a new SEN teacher I had to risk assess my classroom for the first time ever this year) but to just ask you to do one without clarifying what on is a strange and broad request.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask the school H&S person to help you fill it in.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. amunt

amunt New commenter

Good idea, thanks. Presumably there is a designated staff member.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Presumably...:D

6. install

install Star commenter

This sounds odd - unless the room isn't used much or is away from the main block. Ask the school to send you a filled in exemplar copy of someone else who teaches in that particular room already...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    agathamorse likes this.
  7. amunt

amunt New commenter

Thanks install. Yes it is odd, they also asked me for my own child protection policy (??). My risk is no different from the parent volunteers in the class. I'm there because the parents won the provision in court - I'm hoping the school aren't being deliberately difficult. Keen not to antagonise but it's a bit much.

agathamorse and install like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

I think you might need to ask to see their policies and health and safety details in the nicest possible way. Give your Union a ring too. I assume they have asked for the crb details too :cool:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    agathamorse likes this.